free website stats program Seek Info on Retro Motors | Harley Davidson Forums

Seek Info on Retro Motors

mc2

Contributor
I'm wondering if anyone has miles on, or knows someone who has miles on these retro motors I've seen a few of? Those would be the Knuckles and Panheads.

Thanks

I had a 65 panhead for many years, this was back in the 70's. It was an old police bike, I left it stock for about a year then chopped it, 1.25 rake neck, and a 10" over front end, with no front brake. Lived in SFV (LA area) rode it into old Mexico and up to Yellowstone. I put about 75000 miles on her. It was so easy to work on, not like today models. A few wires for lights going to the front and rear and battery, genie thats it. Simple wish I still had it:(

Are you talking about a new motor with the old style look, like this?KN74 Generator Style Engine

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
Just helping a friend's Dad (they live in Berlin, Germany). He wants to build an old bike, and from the ground up, without much knowledge and contacts for parts, this may be an option.

Thanks

Last edited:
I can't speak from personnel experience, but I have read many articles about pro builders here in the states and overseas that have used them. S&S is a very reputable company that has been in business for years.

For the price of the imposters, you could get the real thing. Just speaking for myself, the whole cool thing about my bike is the fact that it's sixty-four years old and still going.
If you're trying to build a quick, modern reliable bike, why not an Evo motor? Harley or S&S makes nice motors. Even a retro build looks pretty cool with an Evo without being a phony. Knuckles are getting kind of expensive, but you can get a rebuilt Genuine HD Pan motor with a title for $6500.00 I just don't get the retro ones because after you pay all that dough, you do NOT have a Pan or Knuckle.

Post Script:
I am not slamming anyone who uses this stuff, it just ain't for me.

Post Script:

Thats your honest opinion and ok. More responses always help in a better educated decision. Especially when there is reasoning behind comment.:s

For the price of the imposters, you could get the real thing. Just speaking for myself, the whole cool thing about my bike is the fact that it's sixty-four years old and still going.
If you're trying to build a quick, modern reliable bike, why not an Evo motor? Harley or S&S makes nice motors. Even a retro build looks pretty cool with an Evo without being a phony. Knuckles are getting kind of expensive, but you can get a rebuilt Genuine HD Pan motor with a title for $6500.00 I just don't get the retro ones because after you pay all that dough, you do NOT have a Pan or Knuckle.

Post Script:

Very good post, I would like to add these old engines can be made to NOT leak oil and be VERY reliable runners, thanks for your input here:s

Very good post, I would like to add these old engines can be made to NOT leak oil and be VERY reliable runners, thanks for your input here:s

I agree. Here's Mines. 64 years old and runs better than I do.

tin-can12_zpsee9e74a2.jpg

I agree. Here's Mines. 64 years old and runs better than I do.

tin-can12_zpsee9e74a2.jpg

That is beautiful. I do miss my pan, and the knuckle. But, I like my Fat Boys.

I been away from the market and scene for a long time, and I appreciate hearing all these comments. I'll pass them on.
Thanks

Back