free website stats program Security | Harley Davidson Forums

Security

kemo

R.I.P
My bike a 2000 Electra Glide has no security system, and I am wondering about installing one. I have been thinking about a Guard Dawg, anyone using this or any comments. How about some other suggestions.

It may just be me but I'm kind of partial to OEM products for something like security. Still, the HD version for your bike is PN 68200-D, $269.95. The Digital Guard DAG is much cheaper. I found one at Pro1 Powersports on sale for $179.95. Digital Guard Dawg Type 1 Guard Dawg Kit for Harley Davidson OK, that's the $$$ issue, perhaps other readers have experiences with either or both.
:USA

I agree with Buddy on this one. I just picked up the HD Factory Security System (#68922-00D) from ebay for $134. I won't be able to install it until I get my bike out of storage, but that will be in a week or two. The installation seems pretty easy - the configuration will take some preparation. Good luck.

Sorry - I purchased a 68200-00D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago for my 01 FLHT. Finally decided on getting the digital guard dawg. Ordered the one they told me too, got it, went to install it, and it was the wrong one. Called them up, and had someone really helpful. He shipped me a new one before I even returned my other one. Still haven't received it yet, but I am confident the next one will work. I don't think that the stock one would have done anything except cost more money. My bro in law has an 08 FLHX and if someone tries to move his, the lights just flash a little. Why pay 5x as much for a few flashy lights? Just my .02

I've had both, and currently have the factory system installed (Smart Siren II) with the audible alarm. My brother opted to just get the pretty blinky lights and no siren. I like both of them and would recommend either equally. I believe most insurance companies give you a 10% discount for having an audible alarm installed as well.

The OEM Alarm requires the siren accessory, HD Factory Security System Smart Siren Kit. In other words, more money!!!

My bike came with the alarm but I had them throw in the siren and a garage door opener, installed, to sweeten the deal. :D

Touch my bike and it emits a very shrill whistle. Don't ask me how I know but in a closed garage that sucker is VERY loud.

Note to self: Have the FOB in your pocket before trying to open garage door and start the bike. :newsmile100:

:USA

I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago for my 01 FLHT. Finally decided on getting the digital guard dawg. Ordered the one they told me too, got it, went to install it, and it was the wrong one. Called them up, and had someone really helpful. He shipped me a new one before I even returned my other one. Still haven't received it yet, but I am confident the next one will work. I don't think that the stock one would have done anything except cost more money. My bro in law has an 08 FLHX and if someone tries to move his, the lights just flash a little. Why pay 5x as much for a few flashy lights? Just my .02

If you are equipped with the silent portion of the OEM HD alarm, you have the ignition immobilizer portion, which to me is a key deterrant of the HD alarm system regarding the theft of your bike. Most HD dealers apparently order them with TSSM, this way if someone breaks into their showroom, because the TSSMs are married to each individual bike, it makes theft a real chore, then add the buttonless/wireless fob into the mix and it is that much better.

The audible portion is to merely remind the rider he has armed it and attract attention to potential tampering or thief, but does little else. That is why that Alarm I or II modules are priced $100 or $200 depending on model (battery backed audible alarm wired or wireless), and why some are using the Radio Shack siren at $20 or so if they want a loud siren alternative if they have the TSSM portion installed on their bikes already, on a limited budget. :eam

Last edited:
I guess not to offend anyone that has a security system or wants one, but I thought maybe I would throw my two cents in. I have the H-D security system on my 01 Dyna, as it came that way from the factory. I never use it. I am not a huge fan of it, because it drains the battery pretty good. Now, granted I have it hooked up to my H-D battery tender often, but still, the point remains. My philosophy on it is that if someone wants to steal it that bad they will. Hopefully I did not upset anyone, just thought I would throw that in.

No harm, no foul as this is a friendly forum, and funny thing I agree with you, at least for the the first month or so I had the bike. But then, you hear how many thefts there are and how HD V-Twins are a big prize for the would be thief...

Yes I like my "silent" HD security setup now and have not had the drain problem because quite frankly I ride my bike at least 5 days out of a week (rainy season) being in SoCal and use the Battery Tender once a month. And yes, security is mainly to keep honest people eh...more honest and make theft less easier than without.

Back