free website stats program Security system problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Security system problems

03fxsti

Yesterday I was at a ceremony on a high peak that had a lot of cell phone towers/microwave antennas/radio antennas around the area where the ceremony took place.

When it was time to leave I was unable to disarm my security system either with the key fob or manually using the turn signals. :( Even went so far as to replace the key fob battery which I knew was not going to work from previous experiance with this problem. Lucky it was all down hill, I was able to get a bud to give me a push to get further down the hill to get away from what ever antenna was causing interference with my security system. :D

There was a lady with a newer Corvette parked near me that was unable to use the Key fob to get into her car, I guess boths fobs work on a similar freq.

I stopped by the Dealer and asked about this problem. The service writter wanted to know if I was down town. It appears Harleys with factory securiy systems have the same problem in and around downtown San Diego, and at a couple of the local military bases. The local dealers know about this problem, and claim there is nothing that can be done to stop it, except move your bike to a different area or replace the TSSM. $125 for the TSSM and 2 hours labor.

Anyone ever hear of this problem before. Ever heard of a way to stop it from happening? Do you think the MOCO would be interested in knowing their security system is suseptable to interferance? It irritates me that I was so demanding to have the factory security system installed, only to find out how much grief it would give me.

Could I install a faraday cage around the TSSM and manually input the security code?

Anyone ever hear of this problem before. Ever heard of a way to stop it from happening?

If you were really close (2-3 hundred feet) to a cell phone tower or microwave antenna, it would not surprise me that you had problems with your fob not working. When you are that close, the signal can easily get swamped out. That can be expected. I have even had my own cell phone swamped out by it's own cell tower because I was standing so close to it.

I also would not go much by what the dealership told you. What happens to your personal communication devices while on a military base also would not surprise me.

Nothing is out of the ordinary to me except for 1 thing.
What does surprise me is that you could not manually enter the pass code using the turn signal buttons. I would not expect that to happen no matter how much RF was around you. That should not have happened. Once I got into an area where I know is not rich in RF, I would try to enter the code once again just to see if it works in "manual enter mode". Something is not right about that piece of the puzzle.

You didn't say but did you happen to upgrade or have a handsfree fob. Button & handsfree models operate totally different from one another. Handsfree is a transponder and pings a signal sent to it by the HFSM. That type of system can not override interference as well because it does not transmit a signal on demand like the button fob models do.

Hey folks, glad to see a thread on this.

I recently parked my 11 SG near a local convenience store and my FOB (no button style) wouldn't work. The manual method did work though. It was one of my first rides on the new SG and I was not very happy. I just happened to grab my PIN just before we left. I still don't know what may have caused the interference IF that's what it was.

and my FOB (no button style) wouldn't work.

The beacon signal and fob range for Hands-Free is very short. Three foot with no outside interference is what Texas Instruments claim on their system. But I am pretty sure ours is Delphi's own design.

In a pinch with Hands-free fobs, you may try taking the fob off the key-ring and laying it on the seat when you hit the starter.

Hoople,

This has happend to me several times now. The first time it happened I called a tow truck to come and get me, but, before they got there what ever was causing the interference stopped, and I was able to start the bike.

When I try to program in the manual code, it will not function in this high RF environment. After my first experiance with the Push Button fob not working I went home and practiced how to use the manual over ride. I still do that proceedure at least once a week to retain profeciency. But, as stated above, when the FOB doesn't work, for some reason I can't program in the manual code. I have a feeling the RF energy affects the TSSM. Some of my buddies suggested throwing a mylar blanket over the bike to see if that reduces the amount of RF energy getting to the TSSM.

I have found that when a certain ship is inport, not only can I not start my bike, but folks with key fobs for their cars cannot unlock their cars with the FOB.

There have been several articles in the San Diego papers about this affecting folks all over San Diego causing key fobs to not work as well as garage door openers to not function.

What do you think of the mylar blanket idea?

There have been several articles in the San Diego papers about this affecting folks all over San Diego causing key fobs to not work as well as garage door openers to not function.

It now sounds like that strong RF interference is actually jamming the front end of the TSSM and thereby locking it up from any use or over-ride ability. That is probably what is happening. The signal is SO strong, it completely locks up the front.
(The HD over-ride design is in case you loose the fob or it breaks)

What is with all the RF in San Diego. Do the articles in the newspaper say the reason why?

I am not that knowledgeable on the subject of RF but from what I am told, carbon fiber does a very good job of blocking RF. It's easy to buy and easy to cut and work with. Maybe somehow cover the TSSM with it.(?) I just don't know if anything will work because the signal your dealing with sounds to be VERY VERY strong.

It actually would be better to attenuate the signal right at the antenna of the TSSM. The problem is the antenna for the TSSM is not external like the HFSM is. You would somehow have to open up the TSSM to get at the antenna.

Back