Securing the Seat

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by jjjtech, Oct 2, 2010.

1. jjjtech

jjjtech Member

I searched the forum and didn't see an answer to this already. Does anyone know of anyway of securing the seat. Some sort of lock to replace the bolt or something. I had people steal the battery out of other vehicles of mine. I'm concerned that when I start traveling again, I'll get stuck in another apartment complex where I can't keep the bike locked up.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Go to an auto parts or hardware store and see if you can find a 1/4" x20 (I think that's the size), Torx +, or Torx tamper proof screw. It takes a special torx bit with a hole in the center to remove the screw. You can get inexpensive torx + bits at Sears and other retailers. Not something the "opportunist" usually has when he's moonlight shopping. It will help, but we all know ANYTHING can be stolen.

Attached Files:

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Therefore, you better be 100% sure you've got that special bit with you when you leave home or you ain't getting that seat off if you need to!

4. jjjtech

jjjtech Member

I'll look for that at Ace next time I'm there. Well, the bolt and the wrench.
    Thanks. Great idea.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Tamper proof torx, just dont loose the driver and buy a good one, the cheap ones are just that , Capital Jack

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The pin in the centre of the fitting isnt too strong a small flat head screwdriver and something to hit it with is all thats needed to get the pin out on some just the screwdriver in and jammed and give it a twist and the pin comes out
    in the late 90s some it equipment used these if i had to fix it i had to get into the box

Brian

7. sprinklerfitter669

sprinklerfitter669 Junior Member

Fins right,

I had to break a few of these tamper proof screws as well, then you can use a regular torx, of allen wrench
    If you go this way, and someday have to break the pin...protect your fender :s

8. jjjtech

jjjtech Member

Well, it was a good idea while it lasted.

9. sprinklerfitter669

sprinklerfitter669 Junior Member

What happened?
    Did you try it?

10. jjjtech

jjjtech Member

No, haven't tried it yet. Just got swayed by the talk of how easy it is to break the security of the bolts.
    Still seems to be my best option though.