free website stats program Securing bike on lift | Harley Davidson Forums

Securing bike on lift

horizonchaser

Contributor
I have noticed looking at past pictures of bikes on lifts that some people don't fasten them down with straps. I have to admit that I seldom bother either, especially if I am giving it a quick washing. I realize that the bike is more secure when it is fastened down but I got to thinking, am I an exception here or do others take a shortcut and neglect securing the bike down?

Depends on the jack your using. I use a J&S and don't find it necessary. PitBull is another solid jack especially their Dyna jack which is extra wide..

Did you really mean a "lift" or a jack. I will assume a jack.

Whenever I have used my lift/jack, I strap the bike down even though it feels pretty secure without them. I have a HF.

i have the yelloy harbor freight and i have never felt the need to strap any of the bikes that have been on it. of course i check the stability of the bike before i lift it..

I have never had a need to strap mine (on the Harbor Freight lift). And I have done some pretty hefty torquing of nuts etc while it was up. Even rolled it around some.

Not saying it's not a good idea, just never had to do it. I am aware of limits though, don't do anything foolish.

One day if I had to the time to fool with it, I've always wanted to lift my bike up just a few inches off the ground and just see what all I could do on it. Even thought about climbing around on it like the J&S folks do just to see. I know I have pressed down hard on the rear while it was up before and the bike does not tip. The weight of the bike is what holds it.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I ALWAYS strap the bike down. I figure the two minutes it takes to strap it down is good insurance.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I ALWAYS strap the bike down. I figure the two minutes it takes to strap it down is good insurance.

I don't think you are paranoid. I had a situation once were I did not strap down and while tightening a caliper after new brakes I started to tip bike over. So I now always strap down.

I strap mine down.
Too much money in the bike that I can't take a couple of minutes to secure it.

I have never strapped mine. I make sure it's balanced properly, raise it an inch or so, and really give it some good shoves in all directions to test stability and balance.

I haven't done it yet but the time you want to be sure it's strapped is if you're going to remove something (tourpack, wheel, etc.) while it's up in the air, which affects the balance.

Back