free website stats program Seating position confusion | Harley Davidson Forums

Seating position confusion

bfmitch

When I picked up the Road King in March I immediately started to hear from the wife that she wasn't as comfortable as she had been on the Ultra Classic we had rented before that. So I bought an Ultra Classic seat and installed it. She's been happy ever since and I'm comfortable too.

There's only one thing that bothers me about it. My feet are pushed off the front of the floorboards by about two inches. That didn't happen on the Ultra Classic.

I've measured the seats and I am sitting about an inch and a half farther forward than when I had the Road King seat.

How is it possible that my feet where completely on the floorboards on the Ultra Classic but are pushed too far forward on the Road King? Are the floorboards on the Road King actually mounted in a different position? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Did I read that right "I've measured the seats and I am sitting about an inch and a half farther forward than when I had the Road King seat." Doesn't that kind of answer the question.
If you move an 1 1/2 forward so do your feet.

Yup. You read it right. I must have explained the problem poorly. It makes sense that my feet are pushed off the front of the floorboards on the Road King with the Ultra Classic seat. What I don't understand is why my feet weren't pushed off the front of the floorboards on the Ultra Classic with the same type of seat.

Maybe it's the handlebars. But, I had the same issue with the original Road King bars and the new Heritage style bars I put on.

I think what I'm going to do is try to get down to a dealer today. I'll sit on an Ultra Classic again and try to make a better comparison between the two.

Once I understand the problem I may have to buy some of the Kuryakyn floorboard mounts that move the floorboards out and forward. I think they are the company that makes them.

I am wondering which seat you actually bought. It's my understanding that the Ultra seat doesn't fit a RK. If that's true, either you bought a HD Comfort Stitch seat, or the HD Reach Seat.

I had the comfort stitch seat on my RK It didn't move me forward but I did sit up straighter. I believe the HD reach seat does mover you forward, about the amount your described.

I am wondering which seat you actually bought. It's my understanding that the Ultra seat doesn't fit a RK. If that's true, either you bought a HD Comfort Stitch seat, or the HD Reach Seat.

I had the comfort stitch seat on my RK It didn't move me forward but I did sit up straighter. I believe the HD reach seat does mover you forward, about the amount your described.

A couple weeks ago I wondered if I might have gotten a reach seat. I was at the dealer and made some measurements of an Ultra Classic seat. The seat I bought on ebay is the same. I should have sat on the Ultra Classic that day to see why the seating position is different.

In '09, according to guys at the parts counter, the Ultra Classic seat does fit the RK. I checked that out before I bought the seat.

Still, the only thing that makes sense to me is that the Ultra Classic floorboards, or their mountings, are different from the Road King. I didn't make it to the dealer today. I'll try again tomorrow. While I'm there I'll ask the parts guys about any possible floorboard or mounting differences.

Once I understand what's going on I'll either get different floorboards/mounts or have the seat modified. Considering I only paid $150 for the seat I can afford to put some more into fine tuning the seating position and still be ahead of buying a Mustang or Corbin seat.

i have an 08 ultra and going to be in the market for a reach seat if you find out you bought a reach and decide to sell it let me know

You could always have your seat customized by a good upholsterer. Some of them do great work and can make slight mods for your comfort. Probably how the new hammock saddle came about. Down here in the South we tend to re-utilize natural resources...:D...I saw this on Craigs List.
attachment.php

I talked to the parts guys just to confirm that there are no differences with the floorboards, floorboard mounting or seat mounting between an Ultra Classic and a Road King in 09. Than I sat on an Ultra Classic in riding position while someone held the bike. My feet do, just (maybe a half inch), hang over the front of the floorboard. Not as far as on the Road King so I might not have noticed it on the rental.

I guess that's the answer. If I want to pursue it any farther I will probably go with having the seat modified.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas.

Back