free website stats program seat resurection | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

seat resurection

It is labeled as a softener/conditioner. My very first bottle I got was from Cavender's in San Antonio Texas were I bought a pair of boots. It is a white cream the consistency of ketchup. The leather doesn't get "mushy" if I can describe it correctly. For example, my boots don't slouch. They hold there shape but the leather is smooth flexible. My chaps have "pockets" were my knees are but still have a substantial feel to them and they are not "droopy". When I think of the oils I used in baseball glove and such, the leather had a slightly "wet" fell to it. Not so with Bicks. Other swear by Lexol and it has a strong history, I have just not gotten around to trying it as I am happy.

Also, since I seem to have so much leather, I used a car washing "mit" for applying Bicks. I tend to do all of the leather in a batch and with the chairs in the house and the wife's chaps, jackets and boots, plus all of my stuff, it makes it much faster. I keep it in a zip top bag until the next time.

I am also a big proponent of "303 Aerospace protectant". I use it on my seat and all the black plastic and my leathers ( a day or two after using Bicks on the leather). It is not a conditioner, but a UV blocker and it has a dry feel to it. My ride sits in the sun all day at work so I wipe the seat and plastic down weekly and I have had minimal to no fading after several years. Again, it has a smooth dry feel to it. Not an oily or film residue. The only thing that has faded are two buttons on my radio for some reason.
Where do you get that Porter? My buddies "shoulders" on his inner fairing are all discolored and if there is some way that I can prevent mine from getting that faded I'd sure like to try it. Thanks!

I use neats foot oil on my gloves, chaps, and boots. No problems with it. I bought my last bottle at Ace Hardware.

Bodeen

I've been using neatsfoot oil on leather since I got my first new baseball glove. It will darken light colored leathers. And yes, your jeans will absorb any "excess" neatsfoot from your seat.

Cut'n pasted from Wikipedia:
neatsfoot oil is a yellow oil rendered and purified from the shin bones and feet (but not the hooves) of cattle. "Neat" in the oil's name comes from an old name for cattle. Today, many[who?] consider the best quality neatsfoot oil to be that which comes from the legs of calves, with no other oils added. Neatsfoot oil is used as a conditioning, softening and preservative agent for leather. In the 18th century, it was also used medicinally as a topical application for dry scaly skin conditions.

"Prime neatsfoot oil" or "neatsfoot oil compound" are terms used for a blend of pure neatsfoot oil and non-animal oils, generally mineral or other petroleum-based oils.

Last edited:
That is a good looking seat Lorne. Should go great with the 1998 (I see it has the 95th anniv. stitching) I was thinking of a solo seat so let me know if you run across another for my 1998. LOL. I use neatsfoot oil for my hunting boots. I would let it soak in (overnight) and then wipe excess off and you should be good to go (no stained pants).

That is a good looking seat Lorne. Should go great with the 1998 (I see it has the 95th anniv. stitching) I was thinking of a solo seat so let me know if you run across another for my 1998. LOL. I use neatsfoot oil for my hunting boots. I would let it soak in (overnight) and then wipe excess off and you should be good to go (no stained pants).

right place right time for the second time in my life. i will try the soak as the leather is quite hard on the skirt. seat still is soft thought

getting there so far have used the saddle soap a couple times first to clean it up good then used the Neats and let it soak in then the same last night. it is getting a lot softer and looking much better.

next i have to tackle the chrome. might have to have it re chromed but i will try to clean it up fist and see what it looks like.

thanks for all the input on the leather softener.

Attachments

• DSCN0162.jpg
    DSCN0162.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0163.jpg
    DSCN0163.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0164.jpg
    DSCN0164.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 25
That seat is coming on i am sure in the future that seat will be special to you due to the time and effort you have put in to make it good

Brian

Lorne the seat looks great compared to the before pics. Not that they looked that bad other than some cleaning. Hope it rides as good as they look.

That seat is coming on i am sure in the future that seat will be special to you due to the time and effort you have put in to make it good

Brian

Lorne the seat looks great compared to the before pics. Not that they looked that bad other than some cleaning. Hope it rides as good as they look.

i have a small rip in the back rest that i need to get repaired but i think the chrome is too far gone so i will probably use Jack's connection and get it rechomed

Back