free website stats program seat resurection | Harley Davidson Forums

seat resurection

lorne

This seat was given to me buy a guy at a gas station he was on a fatbob and i commented on how i would like a solo seat. he said follow me (he lived 2 blocks away) he would not accept payment for the seat, he said his son in law found it in a house he purchased. as much as i tried he would not accept, Thank you again CW i hope you joined HDtalking. one thing for sure every time i run into him (CW) he will be getting a free lunch:

i plan to disassemble the back and chrome then use saddle soap to clean. i have been told by the local saddlery to use Pure Neatsfoot Oil to soften the leather after the soap. has anyone had any experience with the Pure Neatsfoot Oil? i have also been told that it could stain your clothes and my back end looks strange enough with out a stain.

once again CW thank you, i hope you joined us...IOU my hat is off to you :hii

i might add that CW just traded in his 07 (1200 sporty) with 70,000 miles. his fatbob was 10 days old and already had 1,500.

Attachments

• DSCN0156.jpg
    DSCN0156.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0157.jpg
    DSCN0157.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0158.jpg
    DSCN0158.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0159.jpg
    DSCN0159.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 60
I have never used the oil you are thinking about using but I have a local leather shop/saddle maker that made me chaps and all he carries is a product called "Bicks 4". He told me that he swore by Lexol for years making jockey saddles for the race track as the local horse industry but has switched over to Bicks for all his work. He said he still carries Lexol for the "old timers".
It is in a tall black bottle. I has never stained my clothes and I use in on all my leather (boots, chaps, jacket, pants, gloves and two chairs in my house).

Attachments

• bicks.bmp
    18.8 KB · Views: 13
Neatsfoot oil was what I used to use on my bball mits to get them soft. i have also used it on my first leather coat and never had problems with it.

I have never used the oil you are thinking about using but I have a local leather shop/saddle maker that made me chaps and all he carries is a product called "Bicks 4". He told me that he swore by Lexol for years making jockey saddles for the race track as the local horse industry but has switched over to Bicks for all his work. He said he still carries Lexol for the "old timers".
It is in a tall black bottle. I has never stained my clothes and I use in on all my leather (boots, chaps, jacket, pants, gloves and two chairs in my house).

Poter..thanks i will see if i can find some..It is a softener ?

I got and old long hair sporran that had lain in a shed for years and i treated the leather part with neatsfoot oil and it got fairly soft again i gave the hair a shampoo and blow dry and it was as good as new

Brian

Neatsfoot oil was what I used to use on my bball mits to get them soft. i have also used it on my first leather coat and never had problems with it.

I got and old long hair sporran that had lain in a shed for years and i treated the leather part with neatsfoot oil and it got fairly soft again i gave the hair a shampoo and blow dry and it was as good as new

Brian

looks like i will stick with the Neatsfoot first, the main thing is to soften up the leather. i will post my progress as i go. my goal is to make it look as new as i can.

Thanks guys

Brian do we get to see a photo of you in the hat??:D

Poter..thanks i will see if i can find some..It is a softener ?

It is labeled as a softener/conditioner. My very first bottle I got was from Cavender's in San Antonio Texas were I bought a pair of boots. It is a white cream the consistency of ketchup. The leather doesn't get "mushy" if I can describe it correctly. For example, my boots don't slouch. They hold there shape but the leather is smooth flexible. My chaps have "pockets" were my knees are but still have a substantial feel to them and they are not "droopy". When I think of the oils I used in baseball glove and such, the leather had a slightly "wet" fell to it. Not so with Bicks. Other swear by Lexol and it has a strong history, I have just not gotten around to trying it as I am happy.

Also, since I seem to have so much leather, I used a car washing "mit" for applying Bicks. I tend to do all of the leather in a batch and with the chairs in the house and the wife's chaps, jackets and boots, plus all of my stuff, it makes it much faster. I keep it in a zip top bag until the next time.

I am also a big proponent of "303 Aerospace protectant". I use it on my seat and all the black plastic and my leathers ( a day or two after using Bicks on the leather). It is not a conditioner, but a UV blocker and it has a dry feel to it. My ride sits in the sun all day at work so I wipe the seat and plastic down weekly and I have had minimal to no fading after several years. Again, it has a smooth dry feel to it. Not an oily or film residue. The only thing that has faded are two buttons on my radio for some reason.

Back