free website stats program Seat for person with lower back issues | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Seat for person with lower back issues

I have a 98 RK and my back hurt pretty bad also, changed to Heritage bars and helped my back a bunch. Might consider that!

I have back problems and with my stock seat it began to bother me after 25 miles. It curtailed a lot of riding.

My son surprised with me with an Ultimate seat with a backrest.
It is filled with memory foam and after about 200 miles it fits my rather odd
behind perfectly. They do tell you that you have to ride it for a while to break it in.
The backrest is adjustable and it has stopped all of my back pain. It supports me right where I need it and is very comfortable.

Just my 2 cents when adjusted for inflation ain't worth a hoot.

Couldn't you just cut the stem of the backrest off until it hits you just right? Maybe worth it.

Excellent idea, Bodeen. I can easily picture mine fitting nicely in the slot without any trouble with the stem being shortened. I suppose it's best to hack off a little bit at a time until it feels just right. Mine adjusts fore and aft but not up and down. Shortening the stem would address that issue. :)

Im with Tank. If you have stock handlebars. Thats where your problem is. I have an electra glide that I made into a trike. Thats when I changed my handlebars. Made a giant improvement. With stock bars on the electra. My lower back would scream at me.

zoood

This makes perfect sense. I have told my Drs I can ride my Streetbob all day and not be in any more pain than normal for me, it has to be the mini apes along with the 09 seat I put on:s Normal for me with exercise and medication is a 5 out of 10

I have spinal stenos in my lower back to the point where I receive epidural nerve bock procedures every 4 month just to continue working and functioning at a some what normal level. I ride an 07 rkc ,I have accumulated 51000 mi since new. The seat is a hd double saddle pillow seat with rider hd pillow back rest pad and the tall pad bracket, it comes about half way up my back just below the shoulder blades. between the height of the back of the seat and the backrest which conforms to my back near perfect I can ride the distance of my fuel with nothing more than a sore butt that needs stretching like every one else, I ride almost every sunday and every other chance I get, even rode to key west 3200 mi in ten days. When my back is really acting up the seat is one of the most comfortable places for my back. It's all about support in the right place. I'm 5'10 and about 135. when I bought the seat it cost approx. three bills, one of the most inexpensive harley sells.

Forgot to mention, I changed the handle bars to the largest set backs I could get with out having to change cables approx. 2 to3 inches. hd's don't have the part number off hand but if your interested I'll check my paper work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the input. I am a big guy I guess. 6'03" 240. I have stock handle bars. I think handlebars are defintly an option I need to look at.

Handlebars are a great place to start. I am 6' 260lbs. and my stock RK bars were the worst. Albeit your year frame is different on your RK than mine, I would still say at least a set of Heritage bars would do you wonders.

Diesel,
Lots of good suggestions noted and important for each individuals overall comfort.
IMO: first and foremost is getting the body in form so you are not adjusting for a symptom instead of what your body needs. I''ve had extensive spine surgery and remain with re-occuring lower back issues, although I am not being held together with outside parts. A few times in the last few years I have been seriously concerned my riding may end, but with yoga excersizes I have rebounded to feel great and secure.
You don't have to fold yourself up or tie yourself into a knot like some of those young tarts, but just stay within your own limits. In time you will be amazed how far your limits have expanded, and how much better your body supports itself.
Then fit the bike to your comfort!
Take care & Enjoy your ride.

I had neck surgery, a double fusion, and lower back issues accompanied with pain. I was to the point that I was in a lot of pain after about an hour of riding (2010 FLHTK). I did two things, first I sent my seat to Mean City Cycles, they did a wonderful job and I sit in a much better riding position. Then I installed the HD Adjustable driver backrest. Wow, what a difference! No more pain and I can ride all day.....pulling the bars back some would probably really help, but my seat and backrest has been some of the best money I've spent on my bike!

Back