free website stats program Sealed wheel bearings on baggers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sealed wheel bearings on baggers

If you have access to a good set of calipers (either U.S. or metric), measure the new HD brand bearing. This way we could find out the real truth.
My sealed front and rear bearings are common standard series size of 6205. So there is a chance yours just may also be a standard size but only in the 5205 series.
But you right, I would not want to start changing spacers.

That link you gave shows a double row bearing. If that is what you really have, that is nice. Late model bikes have a single row bearing. The 6205 is a single row.

You can also just carry the bearings you have into any good local bearing supplier and they will mic them out for you and sell (or order) replacements.

I've done this for years with a company called Applied Industrial Technologies. I've never (yet) bought any thing to put in an HD product, but they (AIT) told me they can replace any bearing made with it's identical counterpart.

MAN!! How in the heck do you get these bearings out of the hubs? I got the wheels back from Cycle Gear after they mounted and balanced the new Night Dragons (see that other thread about those), and then worked on trying to pull one of the bearings out of the hub with a blind hole bearing puller. The puller kit only has a 3 pound slide hammer, so I thought that just might not be enough. So I went in from the other side with a deep socket that fit in the hole and a long extension and beat on that side. NOT EVEN BUDGING!!

I put some heat on it with a heat gun, but did not try a torch. I am a little skittish putting a flame on the cast rims. I know others do it. Anyway, the heat gun did not help.

So I gave up and took the wheels over to Republic HD for them to swap out the bearings as bench work. Bearing cost plus an hour of shop time!! I am sure that pushes me over 200 (bearing 9247 are $29.95 MSRP - they just called - $226.85)! Ouch! Plus I bought the darn blind hole puller. Live and learn, as they say.

If I ever have to do this again, I am getting the tools (740010) from George's Garage!!! Chassis Tools

BTW - here are some pix of the bearings that are in these wheels (HD 9247) if someone is still looking to cross.

TQ

Attachments

• IMG-20120119-00086.jpg
    IMG-20120119-00086.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20120119-00087.jpg
    IMG-20120119-00087.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
When i had a wee bit of trouble getting wheel bearings out i put the head of the blind bearing puller in the bearing heated the hub with a gas torch turned it over on the work bench and put a steel bar through the wheel to rest on the bearing puller head then beat it with a 5lb hammer and the bearing came out after a wee while but my hands were sore by the time i had done them all
new Bearings had been in the freezer for a few days prior to fitting but were still a pest to get in

Brian

TQ; How many miles did you have on the old wheel bearings? Was there any roughness or did you do it as a precaution?

TQ; How many miles did you have on the old wheel bearings? Was there any roughness or did you do it as a precaution?

As far as I know, they are the original bearings and if so would have 88,900 miles on them. I have all the maintenance history from the Dealership that the previous owner took the bike to before I bought it. They had never replaced the wheel bearings. So I am fairly confident they had never been changed.

I changed the bearings as preventive maintenance. I believe the bearings are "good" for 100k miles, so I wanted to change them in advance of any bearing related problems.

TQ

These sealed bearings are good and bad. Good for the MOCO less set up , bad for owners who over wash and ride in the rain too much. They are a very tight press fit compared to tapered bearings we are all familiar with

Rear Axle Bearing Puller Set I have these @ work for my slide hammer, I am going to take a look at machining down some thing like this for smaller bearings just because:s

Last edited by a moderator:
Back