free website stats program SE Stage 2 what to expect | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Stage 2 what to expect

Those numbers look about right if they use a .030 head gasket, which I recommend. The numbers I gave earlier were with the stock .045 gasket. I agree that if you do go with the 254e cam you probably won't need the compression releases.
I hope you enjoy the new build and keep the rubber side down.:s

Randall

I better check with the dealer on which head gasket they are using. When I get his preliminary DYN, I'll post it. Thanks for advise.

I called the dealer and they are not sure of the gasket size that comes with the kit. They said it looks the same as stock?? I told hime to put in the manual CR then, even if I never use them. Do you know what size gasket comes with the 103 kit?

Personally I LIKE the little More compression that I can get when I build a bike..

If the .015 thinner than stock .045 head gasket was an option, I would go for .030.. I too use the thinner gasket and have had no problems with the gas thing ... I have gone as far as a 40+/1 ratio using diesel at the pump, mixed into the fuel to curb Knock, when gas was 87/89 octane and MILES from a station that offered higher octane.. Worked fine on my big TC built motor.. hitting 205# area of static compression..

signed....BUBBIE

side question for Randall B.

On my Stock 96" 09 FLHR, where should my static compression numbers fall?
Proper static taken with plugs out and fully Open air slide. No modifications

I have Not run a compression check. Now I have added SE255 cams, any Idea where it would/should be there.?

When I go 103 in the future, what would a stock 103" with the SE255's show on compression pressures (stock flat tops 103 HD's)?

I would use the thinner .030 gasket for a little more OOOOmph. So it would run a tad bit higher.

Just close would you know?

thanks.

I just called the dealer and told him to put in the CR. He said I am wasting my money and he doesnt even install them with 255 cams but, if it gives me piece of mind to go for it. Parts and labor around $200.
I hope I am not wasting my money.

I just called the dealer and told him to put in the CR. He said I am wasting my money and he doesnt even install them with 255 cams but, if it gives me piece of mind to go for it. Parts and labor around $200.
I hope I am not wasting my money.

Lets say IF: YOU

If the bike you have Needed to start easier FOR an Unusual Reason;Like the battery was LOW. The compression reliefs would allow Easier starting and Just plain Easier on the starter when releases are used..

Or IF : you had to Push start bike(starter out and Bad)out in the middle OF No where.. Compression releases would help there.

I don't think it to be a waste of $$ FOR ME...

I Will install them when my 09 96" goes to 103" just because.

I have NOT installed them When Needed to on a few of my builds.. and Paid a $$ price

Smitty is Right on in his saying about compression. example below:

I have Gone WAY over board on a couple of my builds and PAID$$$$ to rectify a problem in a TC Using 10.5/1 compression along with a good combination in other Hot parts,,,, Only to find I had to go to a special Programable Ignition to retard the spark, even to burn on 92 pump gas...

Good for around home but Not so good as a out in the middle of No-where...

I went thru a Crank (front rod) cause the engine was pushing 215/219 lbs of static compression also went thru Many starter drives(clutch) going bad Kicking back when trying to start a warmed motor after fuel filling stop,shut off... Also damaged clutch ring starter gears, chipping teeth out making More Problems..

Never Installed the Pressure Relief plugs in that motor, but it NEEDED them.(.)

It is just like Cams, BIGGER is Not always BETTER.(.)

I also try to stay around a 10.00 compression for Road riders and 10.25 is still Pretty Much TOO much for a few bike engines and Other Riders.

signed....BUBBIE

wasn't it Hobbit that said he preferred Higher compression?? at around 12 area?

I don’t know the gasket size and either does the dealer. The kit doesn’t say. He said it looks identical to the stock, so lets assume it is the .045.

I am using the calculator on the BigBoyz site. Big Boyz Head Porting - Twin Cam Compression and Displacement Calculator

Using the 103 engine, 254e cam (which has an Intake close of 43) and the .045 gasket I get:

Static Compression 9.85:1
Corrected compression 8.96:1
Cold Crank Compression 184.1

I guess you are supposed to look at the CCP and Corrected in regards to starting issues. Is that right?
Can someone double check my calculations?

Just got my 05 Heratige Classic EFI thru a 1000 mile break-in on a SE 95ci big bore build. Added SE203 cams and billet cam plate, hydraulic tenisoners and HI FLO pump, SE a/c and SE 9 plate clutch. Topped it off with D&D 2 into 1Fatcats. Went with the SEST-Pro and dyno tune... I went from 61 to 84 hp and from 66 to 94 tq.

I don’t know the gasket size and either does the dealer. The kit doesn’t say. He said it looks identical to the stock, so lets assume it is the .045.

I am using the calculator on the BigBoyz site. Big Boyz Head Porting - Twin Cam Compression and Displacement Calculator

Using the 103 engine, 254e cam (which has an Intake close of 43) and the .045 gasket I get:

Static Compression 9.85:1
Corrected compression 8.96:1
Cold Crank Compression 184.1

I guess you are supposed to look at the CCP and Corrected in regards to starting issues. Is that right?
Can someone double check my calculations?

I use the same calculator and came up with the same figures as you. As regards to compression releases or not at those numbers I would have to ask if you ever get any starter kick backs right now? I know a lot of the TC96 have kick back issues. There are two ways to address this.
(1) Install travel limiters on the lifters.
(2) Install compression releases
So if you are having this issue now installing the compression releases is not a waste of money. Also should you decide that the 254e is too soft on the bottom and want to do a cam change yo will be glad that you went ahead and installed them.
For further reading about this here is an excellent article to read.

The Starter Problem

Personally I LIKE the little More compression that I can get when I build a bike..

If the .015 thinner than stock .045 head gasket was an option, I would go for .030.. I too use the thinner gasket and have had no problems with the gas thing ... I have gone as far as a 40+/1 ratio using diesel at the pump, mixed into the fuel to curb Knock, when gas was 87/89 octane and MILES from a station that offered higher octane.. Worked fine on my big TC built motor.. hitting 205# area of static compression..

signed....BUBBIE

side question for Randall B.

On my Stock 96" 09 FLHR, where should my static compression numbers fall?
Proper static taken with plugs out and fully Open air slide. No modifications

I have Not run a compression check. Now I have added SE255 cams, any Idea where it would/should be there.?

When I go 103 in the future, what would a stock 103" with the SE255's show on compression pressures (stock flat tops 103 HD's)?

I would use the thinner .030 gasket for a little more OOOOmph. So it would run a tad bit higher.

Just close would you know?

thanks.

The main reason for going with a .030 head gasket is to tighten up the squish for a more efficient burn which in turn helps prevent detonation. Another mod that people are doing to help prevent this is installing Singh groves.
To learn what these are go here.

Groove Technology

Grooves 101

singh groove

As for your Q"s on Static compression and Corrected Cranking Compression (CCC)the best place to go is the Big Boyz website that DynaBob posted earlier.

Big Boyz Head Porting - Twin Cam Compression and Displacement Calculator

According to their calculator the stock TC 96 has a Static compression of 9.29:1 and with the stock cam a CCC of 8.88:1 with a Corrected Cranking Pressure (CCP) @182.1

TC 96 with a .045 head gasket and a SE 255 cam has the same static compression ( pistons,head gasket and head volume affect this number) and now a CCC of 9.01:1 and a CCP @ 185.4 (the cam selection has the biggest influence on this number)

TC 103 with a .030 head gasket and SE 255 cam has a Stati Compression of 10.14:1 or with the stock .045 head gasket a Static Compression of 9.85:1. The CCC with the SE 255, .030 h.g will be 9.83:1 with a CCP @ 207.2

HTH,
Randall

OK.

Bike s is done. I got about 81 HP and 91 TQ. Lines are steady and the TQ line holds straighter accross the board than the 255 cam. They said this is the "break-in tune". They said I should expect about 3-5 HP more on the final tune in about 500 miles. Numbers dont seam that impressive, but I can feel it on the bike. It should have come from the factory this way. Really pulls now. No more lanking when you’re in too high of a gear either. I did put in the CR too.
Again I have SE 103 with 254E, Ventilator intake and SE Slip-ons.

My friend did his bike at the same dealer. He has a 2010 Fat Boy with SE 103, Ventilator and V&H Short shots. He came out with 78.5 HP and 96 TQ on his break-in tune.

Back