free website stats program se spark plugs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

se spark plugs

RWB, I can tell you from my experience with the SE plugs, they would cause a back fire in my rear cylinder. i switched back to the stock plugs and no more problems, I ran spilt fire plugs in my Evo motors with no problems, but this new TC ignition is way different

RWB, I can tell you from my experience with the SE plugs, they would cause a back fire in my rear cylinder. i switched back to the stock plugs and no more problems, I ran spilt fire plugs in my Evo motors with no problems, but this new TC ignition is way different

Hi Jack. Please don't misunderstand me, I have no argument that hot or colder plugs can allow or alleviate pre-ignition. That has been going on since the days of no ECMs or fuel injection. A hot plug (as long as it doesn't get too hot) can keep carbon burned off for round town driving since carbon build up will cause pre-ignition of the worst kind. Where as a cold plug for more highway or race environments will run cooler where carbon build up is not so much a problem.

Now I know you already know all this. But this whole ion data based on per-determined conditions is still a bit much for me to swallow that the plugs are a large issue given the other attributes going on much more often that plug changes.

I'm not familar with the SE plug nomenclature as to its hot or cold (tip configuration) or it's internal resistance. But I will accept that you say it caused knock and don't doubt it a bit. As to "why" it caused the knock, well that's still another story. One thing I feel for sure, if a plug can break the ECM's ability to overcome knock buy corrupting pre-determined running conditions, then "most" of our bikes already have stuff to do the same or more.

Also I don't know about the SE iridium gold plugs but the Champion gold plugs are said to reduce knock so there would be less need to rely on those "all knowing pre-calibrated tables".

Hi Jack. Please don't misunderstand me, I have no argument that hot or colder plugs can allow or alleviate pre-ignition. That has been going on since the days of no ECMs or fuel injection. A hot plug (as long as it doesn't get too hot) can keep carbon burned off for round town driving since carbon build up will cause pre-ignition of the worst kind. Where as a cold plug for more highway or race environments will run cooler where carbon build up is not so much a problem.

Now I know you already know all this. But this whole ion data based on per-determined conditions is still a bit much for me to swallow that the plugs are a large issue given the other attributes going on much more often that plug changes.

I'm not familar with the SE plug nomenclature as to its hot or cold (tip configuration) or it's internal resistance. But I will accept that you say it caused knock and don't doubt it a bit. As to "why" it caused the knock, well that's still another story. One thing I feel for sure, if a plug can break the ECM's ability to overcome knock buy corrupting pre-determined running conditions, then "most" of our bikes already have stuff to do the same or more.

Understood Dave, I have a take on this, The plug is thinner so less heat transfer, I believe it creates hot spots also across the firing line and the top of the piston causing detonation JMO Also the ends of the plugs could break off and cause serious damage

Back