free website stats program SE Slip-ons not what I expected... | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Slip-ons not what I expected...

neonhomer

Bike is a 04 Road King Police EFI. I put a SE Air cleaner on it, and then a Power Commander III USB. Mufflers are the stock ones that came on the bike.

I picked up a set of Screamin Eagle Street Performance slip-ons off the `net (the 4" ones, part # 64985-07). I slip those on the other day, and I would have to say I am very disappointed. I thought for being SE they would be louder, but these things are quieter than my stockers.

My stock mufflers are like a glass-pack, you can look through them. These SE's are not. When I removed the baffle to check it out, it is of a typical "over-under" configuration (where the inlet comes in, lets the exhaust circulate around, and then goes back out the outlet). The interior of the pipe is lined with fiberglass, and then that is held in place w/ a wire mesh.

I don't know what to do at this point. I have these (Edit) pipes, which to me are useless because they don't sound the way I want them to. My stockers sounded better than this.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I thought about removing the packing, but then I was worried about the outside of the pipe bluing because of the heat. I thought about cutting the baffles, but then I would be ruining an expensive set of pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those slip on's aren't like the older se slipons were. The new ones are EPA approved. Should have done a search before buying them.

The only thing I can say is carefully remove the packing or at least a portion of it and see if you like the sound.

Umm, I have a set of Vance and Hines Pythons mufflers that I don't like cause they are too loud but they are not straight pipes. Wanna Trade? :bigsmiley24:

LOL.. that's how I got these was by trading. I bought a set of CVO mufflers from eBay for $150. I then traded those for these SE's. Cost me $25 to ship them, and then $65 for the endcaps.

Thought about trying to just buy another used set, but I dunno anymore. Thought about just sticking my stockers back on and be done with the whole (Edit) thing.:bigsmiley19:

Last edited by a moderator:
They are getting louder, but I dobut they are going to get as loud as a set of Vance & Hines or Rineharts....

I had a Night Train with S/E slipons and to make them a bit louder I took the baffles out and bent the part of the pipe that was kinked down to deflect the exhaust toward the packing. It was bent almost the whole way down and I took about half the bend out of it so exhaust could flow past it as well as being redirected. Made a big difference and I still kept some of the back pressure needed for performance.

These are a typical over/under setup. A pipe comes in, and then is flattened some. The outlet pipe overlaps the inlet pipe, which is also flattened, and then goes into the end of the pipe.

I don't know about adding fuel... I have my map set for the S/E slipons and S/E air cleaner.....

Back