free website stats program SE Pro Super Tuner + Smart Tune Software | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Pro Super Tuner + Smart Tune Software

Any suggestions?

There are so many to choose from but I settled on the Innovate Motorsports. Their reputation & products seem to be pretty good. Whichever company you choose, you may want to consider getting a dual channel model with a pair of wide bands so you can monitor both front and rear at the same time. You will be surprised how different each cylinder really is from each other and how you really need to look at each cylinder as being a separate and tunable engine.

Because this system does not use a vacuum pump to draw the sample from the tailpipe, probing at the exhaust tip will lead to very inaccurate readings. I even purchased their patented exhaust probe adapter which did not work at all (that just saved you $80:)). You may find a better way but I used the existing bungs where the O2 sensors are now, entered a value of 13.4 in all A/F ratio cells to force open loop, and then tailored the VE tables to match the exhaust stream to read a global 13.4. Now once you match the desired A/F table to the exhaust stream, your VE tables are calibrated. Re-install the narrow band sensors back in place and set you A/F table back to what they were previously. From this point change what you want in the A/F map and the exhaust will follow what you entered.

Also think about getting the optional o2 sensor heat sink accessory(s) since the Bosch wide bands have an upper limit of ~1K F* and in my case the sensors were close to the exhaust port.

As you can see, don't even go down this road unless your ready to invest both lots of time and money. For me it was worth it because I just got fed up with all the mis-information out on the street about this topic.

Thanks, Hoople for the suggestions. Yup, it will be sometime before I go this route.

SEPST: Used last Smart Tune and increased VE tables by 5% for f/r cylinders. File saved as 010711 Retune 5%+ VEs

To document results so far:
1/8/10 Ride to Destination Daytona then out to Ocala National Forest to eat at Lena's Seafood. 9am return @ 2:30pm.
Weather: high 60's, low humidity, windy w/ NW wind
Riding: Vary between backroad cruising @ 60, to short highway run of 70 and around town stop-n-go riding.
Throttle: Mostly smooth driving with a few burts of WOT to make me smile a bit.
Results:
Engine heat not an issue, but it was nice and cool out and never got caught in traffic. No heat on the right side at all.
Idles pretty smooth at 1K and may vary up or down by 100K.
Engine seems very smooth up through the cruise range of 2K to 3K, even when I got on it up to 4500 one time.
MPG: 182 miles / 4.5 gallons of gas = 40.4 MPG

Happy so far. I'll keep documenting.

Ride safe and have fun.

On Saturday AM (1/15/11) I did two full 30 minute recorded sessions and then ran Smart Tune. My results, I had very little change in my VE value's (maybe 0% to 1.5%, mostly less than 1%) in the cruise range from my previous settings. Looks like I'm dialed in pretty good in that area, where I do most of my riding.

I was told you can only record 15 minutes of data to the VCI, but I've done full 30 minute rns and it was not full when I got back. So FYI for others who go this route.

I then went on a nice 200 mile ride up through the national forest and of course, hit Lena's for some clams. Bike is very smooth up through the cruise range, even up to 4500. Idles nice. Did not get gas yet, but will this morning to see my MPG.

Might go out for a small ride before the fottball games this afternoon.

Ride safe and have fun.

1/24/11 - Did some nice rides over the weekend. Two tankfuls both averaged 43 MPG. Can't tell if there is a heat issue since it was only 50 outside, but right now, heat is not an issue w/ the duals and running closed loop during cruise range. I'll let you know come Augst when it's 98% outside :)

Ride safe and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of the information, I'm one of those fellow's that does alot more of the reading and doesn't write alot. This thread has been very interesting and worth while. Keep it going!

Gator

Thanks for all the great posts here.

I just ordered an SE Pro Super Tuner for my 08 Electraglide so am very interested to see what sort of results you folks are getting.

The deal-maker for me was the smart tune feature as that (in theory) should allow me to tune it myself without spending money for dyno time.

I am familiar with automotive fuel injection, in fact started out as an apprentice ford mechanic in the early 80's when efi was still in its infancy. Those were dark days from a mechanics point of view but its sure amazing how technology has improved.

Anyway, looking forward to more posts here so I can learn some more.

One question though, I have the dealer installed stage 1 ecm download and was wondering if that same program is included in the canned maps that come with the Super Tuner?

I know when the dealer installed the SEPST for me they flashed, what looked like a stage 1 map consisting of "AC and Race exhaust for a 2009 Touring bike". There were other maps for SE cams, increased ci's etc..., but I only have duals, mufflers and AC.

From the base map, I then made considerable VCI recorded runs, reflashed ECM and eventually started to see minimal changes to front and rear VE values from run to run. My cruise range feels nice. I need to do more recordings/Smart Tunes in the upper ranges, but have not had time and don't realy hit those ranges that often.

I have not had to test the heat issue yet, since it's been so cool in FL. Give it time and I'll see some 90's here soon.

This will be a good thread to compare and share results of others who use the product.

I know when the dealer installed the SEPST for me they flashed, what looked like a stage 1 map consisting of "AC and Race exhaust for a 2009 Touring bike". There were other maps for SE cams, increased ci's etc..., but I only have duals, mufflers and AC.

From the base map, I then made considerable VCI recorded runs, reflashed ECM and eventually started to see minimal changes to front and rear VE values from run to run. My cruise range feels nice. I need to do more recordings/Smart Tunes in the upper ranges, but have not had time and don't realy hit those ranges that often.

I have not had to test the heat issue yet, since it's been so cool in FL. Give it time and I'll see some 90's here soon.

This will be a good thread to compare and share results of others who use the product.

Thanks for the timely post.

I just put my 08 Electraglide on the road today for the first time this year.

After going for a 30 minute ride to get a feel for the previously installed "epa approved" Stage 1 tune, I hooked up my SE Pro Tuner and downloaded the appropriate map (205TD004) for my configuration. (Probably same map as you based on my current mods - Stage 1 Air Intake and Fatshotz slip-on mufflers).

Wow! The new map really seemed to wake the engine up and the throttle seems much more responsive. The engine also seems to start easier. Based on the exhaust smell at idle, I suspect this new map is a fair bit richer than the previous map.

I haven't had a chance to play with the Smart Tune feature yet but judging by seat of the pants feel and throttle response, I would be surprised if Smart Tune altered the present map by very much. It runs sweet at all rpms and all load conditions, no decel popping to speak of so I think this factory map is pretty darn close.

I am hoping to play with the Smart Tune feature on my next days off so I can get a feel for how it works and see how it affects the tune.

So far I am really impressed by how well the engine runs with this present SE map. Hopefully the SE canned map for the 103" build will work equally well once my new parts arrive.

Of scientific interest, ambient air temperature around my area today was between 45 and 55 degrees depending on where I was at. Fuel used was Chevron Supreme with an octane rating of 91.

The deal-maker for me was the smart tune feature as that (in theory) should allow me to tune it myself without spending money for dyno time.

I am pretty sure smart tune only applies to the closed loop region so wide open throttle (dyno runs) can not be tuned that way. I can't see the system being any smarter than the A/F spread of the narrow band sensor which is ~ .6 of 1 A/F point. You would have to have wide band o2 sensors and electronics in order to do that.

We also don't have mass air flow sensors, therefore we must define air flow through the engine and hand write that value in during open loop control..

Since you saved the original stage 1 map, you can now create a 2nd version, go through the VCI recordings/Smart Tune process, reflash the bike and see how it goes. I've done about 10 recordings and Smarttunes and my VE values hardly change now from one recording to the next in the cruise range.

If is doesn't seem to help any, you can always go back and reflash your origonal map back into the ECM. That's the nice thing.

When I was trying to get rid of my decel pop, I played with different settings, went back a few times, etc.. until I eliminated it.

I do keep a notebook of all the versions of the files I create, what was changed, why, when ,etc... This way I do not loose my mind when I try to find one of the many files I've created on my PC.

Enjoy the software! I've learned alot by using it, reading manuals, getting advice from Hoople, etc...

Ride safe and have fun.

UPDATE: Last Saturday, it was warm, in the mid 80s. First time riding the bike with temps over 70'ish since I installed the SEPST. As you know, I have been running in closed loop (14.6 target AFR) for the entire cruise range. This was entirley different when I ran the TFI and had it dialed in realy nice in open loop, cooler engine, good MPG.

Well, the heat was terrible. Not on the right side, as my duals took care of that, but it seemed my engine and head temps were very high. Could feel the heat through the seat. I got home, changed all 14.6 target AFR to open loop 13.8 target AFR and reflashed the bike to see if that helped (assuming my VE tables are correct from all my Smart Tunes)

Went for a long ride on Sunday and it was in the mid-80s. Heat was not a problem. Cooled down the bike alot. Bike rode very smooth and acceleration was smooth up through the power band. I'm going to monitor MPG and see if it dropped from my previous settings.

Ride safe and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: As you know, I have been running in closed loop (14.6 target AFR) for the entire cruise range.

Don't forget to factor in at least another .3 for E10. If your entries say 14.6, I bet you were closer to 15.0 at the pipe.
Now if your running pure gasoline,........:)

Back