free website stats program SE Plug Wires | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Plug Wires

03classic

I am getting ready to change my plug wires on my 03 classic.The dealer recommended the SE wires.The SE's are 10 mm and stock is 8.I have heard that the thickness makes it hard to fit in the clips and the boots get squished because they are longer.I am trying to decide before I pull the tank off .Any ideas?

I have the 10mm on mine they are little toughter to put into the clip but can be done

Before changing wires, get the part number of the clips. They have been on the bike for 6 years and are very brittle (been there). One other thing, just because they are larger in diameter does not mean they offer any performance change...if they did they may affect the "ION sensing" and give you false diagnostic codes regarding spark plug data. Given their age though, probably a good time to change them and get a nice color for that "make it yours attitude". I have even seen the nice looking "metallic braid" look, but have to wonder if the metallic look degrades the insulation properties or the cost...but they do look trick...

I read a report on plug wires. I have screaming eagle wires on mine. After seeing the report i read it seems like Knowledgy wires are a bit better. Can't remember what article i was reading, but it had the power curve of all the leading brand wires.

Unless you are changing them just for looks, get the stock set of wires and be done with it. The fancy wires like silicone etc. do nothing other than look pretty.

In the article i was reading they tested several plug wires. Claimed the engine was going from 900-5800rpm as much as 1.8 seconds faster with higher performance wires. I can't seem to find the article with dyno results online, but here is a link discussing it.
Plug Wires

Back