free website stats program SE or Arlen Ness Stage 1 ??? | Harley Davidson Forums

SE or Arlen Ness Stage 1 ???

Dave T

I'm new to this thread stuff so bare with me (already lost the whole thing once). I have an 09 SG with 1400 miles and recently added B&E Performance 2.25" Superflow slip on mufflers. They recommend either a stage 1 or Power Commander with these mufflers. I was planning on having the dealer put on a SE stage 1 when they do the 1000 mile service but I found that the Arlen Ness stage 1 doesn't use rubber hoses that can rot over time. Is this a big deal or just a selling point? Does anybody have experience comparing these stage 1's? Is it a fairly simple install or should it be left to a dealer? Also Power Commander is not supporting the PCIII on 09's and is coming out with a PCV in about a month for the 09's. Will I need to remap for the stage 1 or can I wait until the new PC comes out (probably won't be riding much anyway with the winter weather here in MO) Thanks

An air cleaner is so easy to change a caveman could do it.:D I don't think there's real big difference in performance between and Arlen Ness and S.E.. They both do the same job I think. As far as adding a tuner that's up to you, I would say go ahead and put the on the air cleaner now if your not gonna be riding much. I don't know if I'd trust the power commander as soon as it hits the market, I heard they had some problem on the 08's I'd go with the TFI for something simple and proven, or if you want to go all out go with the ThunderMax. It seems like a lot of money up front but when you figure in the cost of a Dyno with the cost of a race tuner it's about the same price. It's also very user friendly.:D

the new bikes are too lean from the factory to put out it's full potential. A TFI will add fuel to the factory map and make it run better. No dealer remap needed for that. Running a little lean in cold weather wont hurt the performance a lot in cold weather (40-50 deg.) A full stage 1 will really wake up the bike. when I changed just my pipe I thought my bike seemed a little quicker but I think it was just louder. a couple of weeks later I put on a tuner and an Arlen Ness Big sucker and Whoaa!!!!! big difference.

Does the full stage 1 without a tuner need a remap? HD says it does in the Big Book, but I've read where the efi adjusts ,even if does stay lean. Also is this going to affect my warranty?

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. When it comes to EFI modules, you get what you pay for. I have had Power Commanders on all my bikes and won't buy anything else, but they come with a price. A power commander by itself needs a custom dyno. No matter what people say to get it right you need a custom dynoed map which coats around $300. But that price comes with piece of mind, knowing I won't have a bike that pops and backfires ever! All depends on what you want to do. I myself am waiting on the Power Commander V with the autotune. For the price of an '09 street glide the difference between a $200 TFI and a est. $800 power commander is well worth the money.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. When it comes to EFI modules, you get what you pay for. I have had Power Commanders on all my bikes and won't buy anything else, but they come with a price. A power commander by itself needs a custom dyno. No matter what people say to get it right you need a custom dynoed map which coats around $300. But that price comes with piece of mind, knowing I won't have a bike that pops and backfires ever! All depends on what you want to do. I myself am waiting on the Power Commander V with the autotune. For the price of an '09 street glide the difference between a $200 TFI and a est. $800 power commander is well worth the money.

that's why I bought the thundermax with autoune. NO Dyno needed but if ya really wanted to you could. :newsmile093:

Have you heard anything about the RideMax tuner? The one for the 09's is supposed to be out in February, kind of like the idea of being able to change from power to economy maps on the fly. Wireless too!

Back