free website stats program SE Exhaust / Stage 1 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Exhaust / Stage 1

hjacobson1

I was just reading the thread "Upgrades" and not wanting to hijack, I have a question.

If I were to mount the HD SE exhaust and the HD Stage 1 Air filter kit, is it really necessary to add a unit such as the TFI or can the dealer remap the stock FI unit with acceptable results?

Bike is 2007 Nightster.

Thanks

Jake

I feel that my dealer is pretty honest and when I was asking his advice he told me he felt the dealer downloads were a waste of money!

The dealer downloads only return your fuel to the original lean mixture. A unit like the TFI can be adjusted by the user to what the bike needs to run better.

Question on the dealer download: When you put something different on the bike, pipes and/or open element air cleaner and the dealer puts the "download" in it, it puts the bike back to the original settings with the map being compensated for the added parts? What I mean is, is the bike then going to stop popping and having lean spots and rich spots? My bike with the SE II muffs. on it likes to pop and it lost a noticeable amount of torque on the very bottom and the mpg is around 40! I'm not very happy! Would the addition of the stage one air box (which I intend to do anyway) and the dealer download cure these maladies?

Last edited:
So then, we're back to a Power Commander or the likes there of? I would really like to find some software that I can use on my laptop and do a seat of the pants tune or get one of those little things you can hang in your car or whatever that gives acceleration, g forces and ET. What are those things called? Anyway, just want to make some changes to benefit power, not too worried about mpg really. Gonna HAVE to do it with the air box conversion anyway.:56:

Originally Posted by Stovebolt
So then, we're back to a Power Commander or the likes there of? I would really like to find some software that I can use on my laptop and do a seat of the pants tune or get one of those little things you can hang in your car or whatever that gives acceleration, g forces and ET. What are those things called? Anyway, just want to make some changes to benefit power, not too worried about mpg really. Gonna HAVE to do it with the air box conversion anyway

GP racers use a multi-channel telemetry device to track their $1M bikes performance on the fly in real time...but they have the bucks and immediate need to monitor rider and machine, as the rider is too busy racing. But they use in helmet communications, and pit boards to tell rider what to do to improve lap times. But this is only for factory funded race teams.

I would think there is a multi-channel monitoring device that can store the info on a memory chip and uses software to decode the chip information and display it in useable terms, while affordable. May want to contact some privateer racers and tuners in your area for a good source. Maybe Sleddog or one of the guys familiar around a race track can help here. :s

Thanks Rob, I knew there was something, HD has had plenty of time to develop it for their test riders, you would think by now they would have it and market it for the serious tuner crowd.

But you know, they seem to have this nasty habit of doing the right things up until it is time to sell and market a product using all their R&D waiting for something...can't very well sell a product that is a well kept secret, until the window of opportunity snaps shut and the aftermarket picks up the slack!:dknow

Last edited:
Good news on that! Thinking about telemetry on GP bikes, I remember awhile back Motorcyclist did an article that outlined all the GP rider tire testing, with real time sensing of the shifting, engine RPMS, braking/wheel spin sensors and throttle position, and it was pretty amazing stuff. You could tell which tires were really working, and when coupled with rider feedback on the bike and after the ride, they could get the chassis and tire combo dialed in pretty quickly...and that was in 1995 or so.

Back