free website stats program SE compensator | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator

Hoople said:
Sure it does. Any engineer can come up with a solution to a problem if cost is no object. But an above average engineer will find a solution that works just as well, at a far lower cost.

You made my point. My original post in this thread included the comment that the fix appeared to be a fix to simplify the manufacturing process which goes to cost; a bean counter fix, not an engineered solution.

Hoople said:
What's wrong with a tray that needs to be glued to the primary cover. It's not going to be like this from here on out. Primary covers manufactured in the future will probably have the tray cast right into them. I see the glued tray as saving everyone from buying a whole new primary cover which I am grateful for.

I wouldn't install anything on one of my bikes that required the use of a glue gun, particularly if the glue gun was proprietary; sorry, just can't go there.

Hoople said:
This is one of those things where the Moco can't win. If they said everyone had to buy a new cover with a tray already casted into it, people would complain about the price. If they make an engineering change that can be applied all existing models that was affordable, people will say it's a cheap patch job.

So, which is this latest fix? The MoCo could win if they turned the engineers loose and got them out from under the bean counters collective thumb.

What I have a beef about is I feel the Moco should apply some kind of credit for the purchase of new improved parts that are suppose to fix known existing problems. Every SE compensator ever made has this problem.

Your beef is a fantasy; reasonable, but a fantasy none the less as long as the bean counters are making the call. I can cite example after example of changes the MoCo has made that could have been made in favor of their customers but that just isn't how corporate America works when stock value drives everything, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Hoople said:
The above is not to be a debate and is just my opinion. I read all your posts and respect your vast knowledge. Believe me, I'm not happy with the problem either.

Nor am I debating, just sharing my opinion as well. I am so glad my two bikes are "old". I hope you get your problem solved but I wouldn't count on the MoCo to solve it for you.

I am going on a limb here, I would bet Baker comes up with a fix and the MOCO will look real close at this JMO

I am going on a limb here, I would bet Baker comes up with a fix and the MOCO will look real close at this JMO

Baker better hurry; Hoban Brothers is working on a fix as well. I am not sure if this unit is available but the pice are from Februrary this year, I think. Worth a call to John Dahmer at Darkhorse to find out. I suspect that the Hoban unit will be in the same price range of the Compensaver. The Compensaver is the Richard K. solution; the funnel solution that originated from one of the forum members on HTT.

I have the PN 42200064 with glue and rotor on order. I will install on my 2010 and ride it until it fails. I will either be the owner or will have traded the 2010 Ultra in on something else. I probably could have had this repaired under my extended warranty, but, did not want my bike sitting at the dealer for weeks on end waiting for the parts to come in. Plus it give me the opportunity to see and understand the inner workings of the bike I ride to work every day.

Bubbie. My manual says 1.4 quarts for primary - that's 44.8 oz I believe. Why do you use only 40 oz?? I'm getting ready to install a new 2014 outer primary cover with the deflector already molded to the case. So I will be putting new oil in -- I was going to put in 44 oz. What do you think?

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
Bubbie. My manual says 1.4 quarts for primary - that's 44.8 oz I believe. Why do you use only 40 oz?? I'm getting ready to install a new 2014 outer primary cover with the deflector already molded to the case. So I will be putting new oil in -- I was going to put in 44 oz. What do you think?

Thanks
Bob

Bob,

I think you will find controversy in the Big HD book for touring models..

1.7 Primary Chain
(page top right side where it says 1.7)

7.Pour 38 fl. oz. (1124 ml) of GENUINE Harley-Davidson
FORMULA + TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY CHAIN-
CASE LUBRICANT (Part No. 99851-05 quart) through the
clutch inspection cover opening.

NOTE
Only add 45 fl. oz. (1331 ml) after service that involves removal
of the Primary Chaincase or primary chaincase cover.

So what I get from above (copied word for word just like in my book) is DRY measure is the larger amount @ 45 oz.and WET is 38oz and I use 40oz.:D

A Little oil ALWAYS stays inside after you drain so WET measure is 38oz.

IF you have the bike standing up LEVEL you should fill to touch the bottom of the shinny metal on the clutch basket..... I'd bet 38 oz

SO in essence MY 40oz. is not over kill...
On my side stand it is almost to the top to run out.......
My side stand Leans over More than a normal 09 King does...
Redline MTL is what I use and have no show of wear in the primary...:s

That is it... Look in your book (1.7) and you should Read Exactly what I copied from MY book...

signed....BUBBIE

Bob,

IF I were doing your job and knowing you will clean the inside of the inner primary case cover (dry) Outer BEING NEW it Will Be DRY when you install cover back onto the bike...

I would use NO less than the 45 oz. as the book rounds off to use...

I would not even check where it comes on the clutch (this time)... I have done this before and the 45oz. is a good measure to use.

THEN on the Next change it would be up to you how to check and add....

I'd use the upright and to the bottom of the clutch basket on your NEXT change.

(measure all oil put in after adding the full quart, so you will know where your bike likes to be filled.. Mine likes 40 oz. Wet changed... :D

Let us know how it goes on your project...

signed....BUBBIE

Back