free website stats program SE compensator | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator

In Hooples parts breakdown, part number 7 is the one part I don't understand....WHY??? do you want roller bearings for such a small movement and under the Heavy Tightening Load????? Seems to me for a movement less than an inch..... the fiber would work just fine and has on my "A" comp...

Talk and my questioning on HTT was thinking: small oblong roller bearings would flatten out in time for lack of Complete turning so wear at that point....

As far as the new unit working good and MY thinking Poor Engineering by HD to cover up a problem instead of fix it...

SIMPLY like I state; the original Doesn't get oil INTO the unit.....That is it , plain and simple.. CENTRIFUGAL FORCE......

Yes the compusaver looks to be a Fine Work of art... It was on HTT where I watched that product being evolved... Pages and pages over there before their finished design....YES it is Nice.... Too bad HD can't design like that...:small3d002:

I'm out on the road, brought my new pc lap-top..... PC not as easy for me to use yet,,, Mac still best for me... I will post picts soon when back...

May get to 90* today......Weather great and Loving this PC as no need to ride early until toasty warm outside,,,,,Gila Bend Az. stayed at the Space Age Best Western Motel,,,,UFO's all around.....

Bought this PC, never thought I'D Be Using one when out traveling on the King.

signed....BUBBIE

Here is a picture of the current new one. You can see the oiling holes sprocket retainer. I was hoping this would be the answer because there is a kit which only includes 4,5,6,7,8,9 and the oil catching tray & it's under $200. It assumes you have the SE rotor and washers already.

Now the CompuSaver is a work of art. If money was no object, I would buy it today. I just can't swing that type of dough.

Thanks for the information. As Bubbie keeps pointing out, centrifugal force is the primary reason for early failure of both the 08 and 08a versions. I don't see how drilling holes in the retainer overcomes centrifugal force to maintain lubrication. But, I am just a shade tree hack and don't appreciate the engineering.:newsmile057:

The new SE Comp is still out for long term durability. There are concerns about the oil passages clogging up over time with debris that is present in the primary. The first inspection of the new SE unit was done @ 1500 miles and the pictures I saw showed improved spoke and cam wear with no fretting ( Rust ) and no discernible wear on the new thrust roller bearing.

So it is lubricating the bore, cam and spokes much better and will last longer than the first SE Comp setup but the unknown is how much longer.

Thanks for the information. As Bubbie keeps pointing out, centrifugal force is the primary reason for early failure of both the 08 and 08a versions. I don't see how drilling holes in the retainer overcomes centrifugal force to maintain lubrication. But, I am just a shade tree hack and don't appreciate the engineering.:newsmile057:

The holes are only part of the solution. The other part is the tray that is mounted under the upper chain loop and the tray has a funnel that directs the oil to the unit with the holes to feed it the needed oil for lubrication

First pic is the prototype that was under development

Second pic is the compusaver that is sold by Steve

Attachments

• P1300459R (1).jpg
    P1300459R (1).jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Compusaver.jpg
    Compusaver.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for the information. I don't see how drilling holes in the retainer overcomes centrifugal force to maintain lubrication.

I haven't had the sprocket retainer (item # 9) in my hand so I am guessing this is how it works.

Looking at the sprocket retainer # 9, the opening hole on the hex end side gets wider the deeper you go toward the 6 oil holes. So the hole in the retainer starts out at maybe 1" but at the six oil holes it may be 1-5/16 inch.
The plastic tray that is attached to the outer primary cover will catch or fill with oil that the chain & clutch assembly is turning up. The tray has a corner with a lip that pours the oil directly into the opening of the sprocket retainer. Once the oil enters the opening of the sprocket retainer, centrifugal force flings the oil with an outward force. Since the opening of the sprocket retainer gets wider the deeper you go, the oil has no place to go except into the 6 small oil holes. Since the oil from the tray is being poured into the sprocket hole continuously, oil is being "pumped" through the 6 sprocket holes. The six oil holes feed through the sprocket retainer and feed the bearing area of # 6 which is the focal point of all the fret rust.

The entire key to the system is the hole in the retainer gets wider the deeper you go. That's what traps the oil and forces it into the 6 holes.

I don't fully understand the purpose of the Spinner (# 10) because it's only used on Springers. It seems it would defeat the entire purpose of the oiling system.(?)

Some new style SE comp pictures

Attachments

• new comp 2.jpg
    new comp 2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 53
  • new comp 5.jpg
    new comp 5.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 58
  • new comp 3.JPG
    new comp 3.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 57
  • new comp 4.JPG
    new comp 4.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 57
  • new comp.jpg
    new comp.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 64
New SE Comp instruction sheet info.

This kit does not come with the rotor or the glue gun. If you already have a SE comp than the rotor is not needed. However, the epoxy glue kit uses a proprietary glue gun only sold @ HD. With a little thought it can be done with out spending the extra money for a one time use for the gun.

The glued on funnel works in the same principal at the compusaver tray does by feeding oil to the center of the comp bore to give it lubrication. The HD funnel collects the slung oil from the top of the primary as it flows down the inside of the outer primary cover. The speculation is that due to the smaller size of the HD funnel its not feeding the volume of oil to the bore as the compusaver does.

Attachments

• SE Comp II Instructions page5.jpg
    SE Comp II Instructions page5.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 22
  • SE Comp II Instructions page4.jpg
    SE Comp II Instructions page4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 30
  • SE Comp II Instructions page3.jpg
    SE Comp II Instructions page3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 26
  • SE Comp II Instructions page2.jpg
    SE Comp II Instructions page2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 28
  • SE Comp II Instructions page1.jpg
    SE Comp II Instructions page1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 27
Wow, nice pictures. They explain a lot. The oil holes look pretty big to me. I guess they could clog if your primary oil was really past due.

Love that CompuSaver, but 6 bills (with a new SE comp) is heavy.

HD drawing showing the SE Comp changes from the last version to the new version

Attachments

• New SE Compensator 2.jpg
    New SE Compensator 2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 49
  • New SE Compensator 3.jpg
    New SE Compensator 3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 38
  • New SE Compensator 4.jpg
    New SE Compensator 4.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 39
  • New SE Compensator.jpg