free website stats program SE Compensator | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Compensator

Update - getting back to the first post on this thread created by me - I installed the SE Compensator and the primary knocking sound is gone! Have not experienced the starting bang sound either. I did the job myself and saved some money. I even reused the primary cover gasket. I could not believe the difference between the stock compensator springs and the SE compensator springs(heavy duty). The SE Compensator comes with a stator rotor so the stock rotor needs to be removed. The stock rotor will not come out unless you do one of three things.

1. Remove the inner primary - not a big job but you have to remove the stock compensator, clutch basket, chain tensioner, replace the inner primary gasket, starter seal and o ring, primary seal and the 5 sealing bolts.

2. Remove the stock compensator, chain tensioner and clutch basket, then loosen the 5 inner primary sealing bolts until you get enough wiggle room to get the rotor out - some have been succesful and not have any leaks afterwards.

3. Grind about 3mm inside the inner primary at about the 5:30 to 9:30 clock position. This is the route I went. With the stock compensator and chain tensioner removed, I used a small carbide burr with a dremel. Masked everything off and I was done in about 10 minutes. Had a shop vac hose near the area while grinding. Cleaned the grinding area, then carefully removed the paper. I also had wrapped the clutch basket and stock rotor with a towell before masking.

Here are some before and after pics.

Attachments

• inner primary1.jpg
    inner primary1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 83
  • inner primary2.jpg
    inner primary2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 71
  • inner primary3.jpg
    inner primary3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 91
  • inner primary4.jpg
    inner primary4.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 84
Hello All,
This is my first post on the forum, although I have been member for some time. I am from Europe (Bosnia and Herzegovina) and have no dealership in the area. Nearest Harley dealership is in Vienna (800 miles). I have RK 2008 (FLHRC) 4000 miles on it and start experiencing laud “BANG” during the start when engine is hot. Changing the compensator is a mission for me. Bike is running fine and there are no problems with it. I wonder, by not changing the compensator and continue riding the bike, what other part will suffer and got damaged if I do nothing? Thank you in anticipation.

Hello All,
This is my first post on the forum, although I have been member for some time. I am from Europe (Bosnia and Herzegovina) and have no dealership in the area. Nearest Harley dealership is in Vienna (800 miles). I have RK 2008 (FLHRC) 4000 miles on it and start experiencing laud “BANG” during the start when engine is hot. Changing the compensator is a mission for me. Bike is running fine and there are no problems with it. I wonder, by not changing the compensator and continue riding the bike, what other part will suffer and got damaged if I do nothing? Thank you in anticipation.

Welcome to The Forum, Not much will happen other than the annoying bang, You are Bosnian? I am Serbian:s

Mine had all the symptoms mentioned above. I put in the SE comp and it's much better. The stock compensator that came out looked fine. It's just a lousy component. The SE comp took away most of the noises associated with the original comp. The primary seems much tighter and quieter.

I was going to do the install myself but my dealer said he would do it for $100 labor plus parts. I said go for it. The SE compensator requires some grinding of the case to install or you can remove the inner primary. I believe all 2011+ touring bikes come with the SE comp stock.

I would definitely recommend doing it.

Can anyone confirm if the 2011+ touring bikes come with the SE Compensator standard? My 2012 FLHTK sure seems unusually load.

Can anyone confirm if the 2011+ touring bikes come with the SE Compensator standard? My 2012 FLHTK sure seems unusually load.

See attachment for the dealers forum held during the Summer of 2010 telling about upcoming changes on the 2011 bikes.

Attachments

• Comp on All_Forum.pdf
    560.4 KB · Views: 43
Back