free website stats program SE Compensator | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Compensator

Had the same problem with my 09 S/G bought the S/E compensator , removed the cover found because of the kick back during start up, a tooth was broken on the starter ring, It got inside the stator and chewed the magnets apart, I had a month left of the warranty, i put it together ,brought it to the dealer her in Utica NY , he replaced the clutch hub ,stator, only charge, was I wanted to upgrade to the S/E compensator which was OK , Whole job cost me under 100$
I was more than happy, just wished i checked sooner, I believe the went to the S/E comp in 2010

Took my 2008 RKC in for a new tire today. While the tech was writing up the work order, I mentioned that it was sometimes hard to start, with a lot of clunking/noise. Left today with a new tire and the SE compensator upgrade.

The lessons learned:

Occasional hard starts are not normal. Nor are funny noises.
Occasional difficulty down shifting into first is not operator error. It is a symptom of the failing/substandard original compensator.
Having to sometimes add throttle and bring in the clutch for a mild pull out from a standing start is a sign of poor compensator performance, not operator technique.
Sometimes it is better to deal with the dealer where you bought the bike. They went the extra mile to get it done today. Literally. They drove to another dealer to get the part.
Sometimes an extended warranty pays off. Only paid 50$ for the new compensator installation.

And last but not least, keeping a set of Frogg Toggs in your saddle bags occasionally pays off. But they are not much help if your full face helmet is sitting in the garage. I was glad I had a new rear tire as I road home on the access roads during a rain storm. Way too much highway traffic for me and my fogged up glasses.

One more thing. Had I paid closer attention to the earlier compensator threads, I would have realized my bike showed all the symptoms. Oh well, I get a little wiser everyday.

I have another quick question while we are on the subject. What exactly is the function or job of the compensator?

Like a spring or rubberband ..its the shockabsorber for the 1 St part of the drive train.

Think of the 4 strokes involved with a 4 cycle engine. Starting with the power stroke, there is a large impulse of power to the crank shaft trying to speed it up. Without the compensator, that strong impulse would be immediately transferred into the drive line and would be felt by the rider. The compensator absorbs some of that energy and releases it after the power stroke. Then the engine "coasts through the exhaust stroke and the intake stroke with relatively little resistance from either process. Then comes the compression stroke and the rotation speed is abruptly slowed by the resistance of the building compression. That abrupt slowing would also be felt by the rider if the compensator didn't absorb some of that also. That puts us back to the next power stroke and the compensator feels and absorbs a reverse of force, during compression, the engine could be "pushed" by the momentum of the machine and the compensator loads in one direction, then after ignition occurs, the engine tries to speed up again and loads the compensator in the opposite direction. This vibration would be very unpleasant, but especially so on a long ride. Imagine putting in a 700 mile day holding on to a vibrating lawn mower handle and getting that buzz through your seat all day long. Not only does the compensator reduce the shock loads on all of the bearings and gears in the drive system, it contributes the comfort level we take for granted.

Thanks guys that makes a lot of sense. Btsom along with the starting problem the bike seemed to have been vibrating a little more than normal and now I wonder if that too was the compensator. I'll know in a few days when I get the bike back. Thanks again everyone.

Just another thought; a weak battery will cause issues with kickback when starting. I replaced my compensator with the SE. Things where fine at first but it starting getting kickback again. The battery wasn't as strong as it should have been which was causing the issue or at least, it was contributing to the kickback. Changed the battery and the problem went away. My battery was 3 1\2 years old ( original battery) on a 09 Ultra Classic. Just a thought!

Just another thought; a weak battery will cause issues with kickback when starting. I replaced my compensator with the SE. Things where fine at first but it starting getting kickback again. The battery wasn't as strong as it should have been which was causing the issue or at least, it was contributing to the kickback. Changed the battery and the problem went away. My battery was 3 1\2 years old ( original battery) on a 09 Ultra Classic. Just a thought!

Same here bro. '08 SG with SE Compensator put on at 43,000 miles and started having starting issues with original battery around 54,000 miles. Replaced battery and perfect with 60,000+ miles now.

Same here bro. '08 SG with SE Compensator put on at 43,000 miles and started having starting issues with original battery around 54,000 miles. Replaced battery and perfect with 60,000+ miles now.
Yes, it is a overlooked problem sometimes. If the battery doesn't turn the engine over fast enough, you will get a kickback sometimes. I replaced my batter with a new ETX-30L Powersports Battery from Battery Mart for $ 97.00 delivered. It is the same company and battery they make for Harley Davidson. Dam, Harley now wants $ 170.00 for a Harley battery.

Attachments

• ETX30L-2.jpg
    ETX30L-2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 14
Back