free website stats program SE Compensator | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Compensator

oiler

I might have to change the compensator on my 2009 SG. Last summer I was getting the bang noise when starting and also noticed an intermittent primary knock at idle. Going to check the torque on the compensator nut first to see if it's at spec. If it is at spec and the compensator needs to be replaced, thinking of switching to the SE compensator. I know that even the upgraded - 40274-08A compensator still has lubricating issues but if I have to replace the compensator should I go with stock again or SE? Only 18,000 km (11,000 miles) on the bike.

Go with the SE compensator sprocket, even with the lubrication issues it is still better then the stock compensator sprocket IMO.

I replaced my stock comp with the s/e the improvement was instantly noticed I have a stage 2 103 sometimes when the bike was hot I had to wait for it to cool off to start the bike, one of the best mods ive done by far..

I wonder if I am having the same problem. When you say bang noise does it seem like the starter kicks back? I don't know how to explain what mine does other than "when it's it hot" and I go to start it, it almost feels like the starter is slipping or disengaging and trying to engage again if that makes any sense. I have an early morning doctors appointment in the morning and then I am going to run by the dealer to see if it will act up. I do have the extended warranty so I hope that helps with the cost.

My '09 Ultra did the same thing. The local independant shop added another disk/washer to the compensator. The issues seam to have gone away.
Has anyone else heard of this?
Craig

I wonder if I am having the same problem. When you say bang noise does it seem like the starter kicks back? I don't know how to explain what mine does other than "when it's it hot" and I go to start it, it almost feels like the starter is slipping or disengaging and trying to engage again if that makes any sense. I have an early morning doctors appointment in the morning and then I am going to run by the dealer to see if it will act up. I do have the extended warranty so I hope that helps with the cost.

Mine does not do that. When the engine is hot and I push the start button, I sometimes get this loud bang! when it first fires up. Almost like a gun going off. Other times it will start up nice and smooth.

My '09 Ultra did the same thing. The local independant shop added another disk/washer to the compensator. The issues seam to have gone away.
Has anyone else heard of this?
Craig

Did you have the primary knock or the bang sound when starting or both?

I had both.
I don't get it, I had my shovel for 16 years, I had my EVO for 15 years and not a bit of trouble with the compensators, The twin cam started banging after only a month or so.

My wife's Heritage had the "bang" when starting. I replaced the sator with the SE Compensator and now it is quiet. I would recommend going with the SE even with the lubrication issues. Like someone said earlier, one of te best mods I've done to her bike.

The compensator knock sounds like a hammer bouncing off the primary..it is loud and very distinctive. Before replacing it my stock compensator did it at just about every start up. Never felt like an issue with my starter.

Back