free website stats program SE Compensator Sprocket #40274-08 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Compensator Sprocket #40274-08

craig Lee

Hey everyone,
Had the SE Compensator Sprocket #40274-08 installed last week and wanted to ride it a week before posting. I know there have been several threads over the past years, but this is the ticket. 47,000 miles on an '08 SG with a Baker DD7 installed at 43,000 mile. Can't believe all my ranting and raving over the years about primary noise, etc. had to do with this sprocket. Mz Bling and I were in Los Angeles downtown traffic on Sunday and couldn't believe no clanging, etc. with this new sprocket. Ignition start up is also smoother. Gee, I wonder why they're stock in the 2011 Touring. Highly recommend this upgrade and thanks to this forum, as always, for the info.

I too have been having starter troubles. I told the service writer if there is ANYTHING seems wrong with the compensator that I would pay the difference for the SE. Keep your fingers crossed!! :D

Been reading a lot about this compensator sprocket and was wondering what makes this part work so well - can someone please explain to me how this sprocket works? - thanks

The compensator sprocket is really a "cush drive" within the sprocket/wheel hub that cushions the driveline "snatch" that occurs when you let out the clutch and the shock of engaging a spinning drive sprocket, drive chain, clutch assembly with driveline lash along with belt/chain assembly. Having a lot of play or slack when summed together can cause a clatter without this compensator to relieve all that driveline lash.

Compensator sprocket drive has been used on virtually all Japanese chain drive sportbikes to help make shifting and driveline snatch that occurs when cornering with leading and trailing throttle/braking inputs when cornering hard and fast, causing rear wheel hop. This can cause a well balanced bike to handle very poorly at high cornering speeds, making throttle and braking inputs very tentative without that cush drive.

Last edited:
I too have been having starter troubles. I told the service writer if there is ANYTHING seems wrong with the compensator that I would pay the difference for the SE. Keep your fingers crossed!! :D

I'm going to take the same route as you, Joe. I have a 7 yr warranty so I have time for the stock OEM compensator to fail.

Ride safe and have Fun!

Put one in my 08 FLHTCU. Worth the time and money. A better design, quieter operation, you will like the improvement, just make sure red-lock-tite and proper torque. All old stuff (oil & lock-tite) must be removed and cleaned dry with brake-cleaner, to make a valid torque on this 9/16 X 12 bolt. It took me twice to understand this.

Also know how to check for and correct primary chain alignment. The replacement compensator sprocket may not be exactly the same measurements as your original. A zero to one inch micrometer helps if you have to use different shims to get the chain aligned. The shims come in different thickness, or you can use a combination of different shims to obtain the proper thickness you need.

Back