free website stats program SE compensator problems | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator problems

looks easy enuff...a pain to have to tear down, but do-able...thanks

What's NICE about this problem. IT doesn't happen Over Nite.

The suggested remedy of grinding Grooves should Help some..

Other thinking was to Make a plate to install Inside the Primary to catch/hold and divert oil Constantly against the Problem areas..

I think that IF HARLEY: Grooved the Sprocket face at the Spokes THEN, RE-designed the INNERs of the Primary cover(s), by Casting In them a Oil-Diverter. That would be a good solution.

Haw Ha,,,,Another "Patn Pend" IDEA. for Geezer and BUBBIE to deal with..:guitar

signed....BUBBIE

As far as Me and another site, and going to look and OR join,,,,,, I hold No allegience to anything or anyone but My God,Family and Country.. So be it.

I feel that Most of us, ME included Devote/Promote a lot to this site.(.)

I would NOT have found information on the SE problem by staying on one Forum.. Many to read and Join if I wish. ********(Yes there IS one I would Not join.(.) )

No SHAME or GUILT Here.:D

signed....BUBBIE

I'll be following this. I was reading on other sites that folks were changing over to the SE compensator even before they had a real problem with the OEM one.

I'm sticking w/ my stock one or until they make a change to correct the potential issue dicussed here. I'm using Formula +.

Ride safe and have fun out there.

I am with you BUBBIE on belonging to both sites!! Both very exceptional sites by my way of thinking. Have learned a ton from both and all members seem to be very congenial - i.e. no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb problems!!

I just got finished pulling off my SE compensator and yes indeed, it had a good amount of fret rust. I am glad I caught it before parts replacement was necessary. I have maybe 3-4K miles on this new compensator and was using Formula+. There is no doubt this is something that should not be ignored. For the time being, groove cutting looks like a good answer.

My Thanks to Geezer or else I would have never known about this potential problem.

Attachments

• Fret 002.jpg
    Fret 002.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Fret 004.jpg
    Fret 004.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 77
Here's the pics & text that were spoken about earlier on another forum.

Sorry , don't know how to re-size them :D

This was after 5k miles and was using Redline Primary Oil. FYI............. I removed the comp
and re-installed the stock comp. The red is steel that has been reduced to a powder by the wear inside of the bores. This wear causes 'fretting' which is similar in appearance to rust. What we feel is going on is that the inner bores do NOT receive any lube once installed. AFter a number of miles... the lube is gone.

There's a couple guys that have modified their SE Comps in an attempt to gain the inner bore some lube. If I see that works, I will buy a rebuild kit, drill as directed, and see if our 'home made' upgrade works.

Until then... it is the stock comp...... bang and all.

comp4.jpg

comp3.jpg

The SE caused a vibration and I didn't want that.

Comp1.jpg

comp7.jpg

comp6.jpg

comp5.jpg

comp10.jpg

I am glad I caught it before parts replacement was necessary. There is no doubt this is something that should not be ignored. For the time being, groove cutting looks like a good answer.

A lot of SE have gone on over the years and didn't hear any negatives. I waited until 2000 miles ago (47,000 miles on the bike) and now this. Question: I'm not a wrencher and would like to wait and see if the grooves do indeed help. Is the worse case scenario the replacement of #2 shaft extension and/or #4 compensating sprocket after how many estimated miles? I know the fretting is not a good thing, but just curious about gestimated future results when unattended.

how many estimated miles? I know the fretting is not a good thing, but just curious about gestimated future results when unattended.

To quote mileage,, who knows. My guess is you will get a "heads up" just by the sound alone. Those two pieces should be the ones that wear out. I would say once the hub really scores up from lack of oil, it won't rock smoothly back and forth (ramp up & ramp down) which will lead to some compensator noise when engine cranking and going from engine under power to the engine being used as a brake. When you go from "under power" to engine braking, the compensator ramps go the opposite way. Catching it early would sure help in needing fewer parts. Between the sprocket, arbor hub, new bolt, and fiber washer it may be cheaper (wiser) to just buy another compensator kit for ~$200 and start over.

From what I have read, the primary fluid used made a big difference, with ATF being the worse. Mind you, this is what I read & not experienced 1st hand.

You guys are not are not helping me with keeping that warm and fuzzy feeling about the new SE Compensator sitting in the box in the garage waiting to be installed :(

Thanks for the post on the issue and you can bet I will be "cutting the grooves" with the hope that it does help before I do the install.

To quote mileage,, who knows. My guess is you will get a "heads up" just by the sound alone. Those two pieces should be the ones that wear out. I would say once the hub really scores up from lack of oil, it won't rock smoothly back and forth (ramp up & ramp down) which will lead to some compensator noise when engine cranking and going from engine under power to the engine being used as a brake. When you go from "under power" to engine braking, the compensator ramps go the opposite way. Catching it early would sure help in needing fewer parts. Between the sprocket, arbor hub, new bolt, and fiber washer it may be cheaper (wiser) to just buy another compensator kit for ~$200 and start over.

From what I have read, the primary fluid used made a big difference, with ATF being the worse. Mind you, this is what I read & not experienced 1st hand.

Thanks as always boss,
Wouldn't of expected any less of an explanation. Gotta' love this forum!
I am using Spectro in the primary (and tranny) and noticed earlier that Spectro in the primary wasn't dug for this situation. Maybe switch to Formula+? What do ya' think?
Gonna' keep an eye on the results of the groove and if needed, replace with new SE Kit and have my wrencher put in the grooves. Maybe the MOCO will get wind of this and Revise with a new kit.

Back