SE Compensator Kit number

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Hoople, Apr 1, 2010.

  1. Hoople

    Hoople Account Removed

    7,198
    0
    34
    Would anyone know what the difference is between the
    Screaming Eagle Performance Clutch Hub kit P/N 37976-08 and
    Compensator kit #40274-08.

    Both numbers are listed in the Transmission Self Help Tips section
    under compensator kits. Both parts sell for the same price.
    But 1 part number does not sub to the other. At the same time they look interchangeable.

    I'm looking for a SE compensator kit number to fit a 2009 Dyna.
    Tks!

    Found the answer. It was in the 2010 catalog.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2010
  2. biscuit

    biscuit Junior Member

    558
    28
    4
    40274-08.The one you've got?
    Piece of kit isn't it! Just got mine and man,it's heavy-6.5 kgs or 14 lbs.

    No wonder Harleys are so heavy overall.:D


    Can't wait to fit mine next week.Will be an all day affair to coincide with my oil and filter change.
     
  3. Hoople

    Hoople Account Removed

    7,198
    0
    34
    Yep, that is the one I ordered. #40274-08. I need to make up a locking tool for the primary chain. Service manual says not to use the "stair case" one since the inner cover no longer has alignment dowels. Curious to see how much grinding I need to do in order to get rotor off.

    Your probably going to have yours done before I even receive mine (ordered today). Post how it went.
     
  4. ultrat

    ultrat Senior Member Contributor

    1,315
    0
    1
    small amt of grinding 6 & 9 oclock
     
  5. geezer

    geezer Senior Member Contributor

    1,522
    58
    28
    I made my own locking tool out of 1" wide by 1/4 thick like was mentioned in previous posts. Had to grind some from 6 to 9 like Ultrat says but didn't take long with die grinder. I never took the clutch off cause lots of slack in the chain with stator off.
     
  6. biscuit

    biscuit Junior Member

    558
    28
    4
    Yep,already got my sockets on standby,my red loctite ,my primary gasket($48 here in OZ),my carbide bit and my piece of steel i purloined off a low voltage shackle x-arm;perfect size,1" wide,1/4 " thick and almost 6" long.And strong.

    I've laminated the Compensator instructions(downloaded those weeks ago from the H-D site)and the relevant pages from my manual;PLUS the easy method of clutch adjustment from this site.Been over it all many times and it has been noted at work that i've been seen reading out loud and making turning and twisting motions with my hands.Ready and raring to go.

    The way my family works,i'm reasonably confident i'll be doing another two of these conversions.
     
  7. ultrat

    ultrat Senior Member Contributor

    1,315
    0
    1
    Id say your as good as it gets..wish i was that through.,,:s
     
  8. Breeze3at

    Breeze3at Well-Known Member Contributor

    4,564
    68
    82
    Now that's being prepared.:p
     
  9. biscuit

    biscuit Junior Member

    558
    28
    4

    Well,it's done!Ihad trouble getting my Deluxe onto my jack by myself with the Frame pads on-the bike sits so low.I had to make up a ramp to run the front wheel up onto to gain clearance and yada yada yada.On to the REAL job---


    First,off comes the left footboard,then the heel/toe shifters.Undo the 13 bolts and off comes the Primary cover.Zippy tie the Chain Tensioner so it wont spring open and take it off.Easy so far--
    No real trouble breaking the Loctite on the Sprocket bolt with my Breaker Bar,and then time to remove the Rotor.NOT so easy.I spent a careful 3-4hours with my drill and Carbide bit taking about 3mm from about 5:30 to 9:30(position on the Primary case).With a rag stuffed between the Rotor and Case to prevent spread of swarf.Plus my Dyson vacuum cleaner sucking all the while.And frequent cleaning--

    Rotor off,and S.E one just fitted back on.I did not need to remove either clutch OR primary chain;just covered them up.It all goes back together easily,but a word of caution.When you fit the Primary chain over the S.E sprocket and torque it up,MAKE SURE THE CHAIN ISN'T HANGING OVER the Engine case.Mine slipped down and put a gouge -thankfully-on the top of the mating surfaces.No leaks---

    Filled with new oil and rode .NO start up noise,no clunk into gear,no chain whirring sounds and better gear changes.

    Did 40 klm ride today,and dumped the brand new Primary oil from yesterday.Merely a precaution.Will change a third time in maybe 80 klms.

    It's a relatively easy job;especially with the published info that exists on this site;the hardest part being the metal removal.


    Indeed,i owe thanks to all others who have done this swap previously and posted pix and information.Thank you one and all.
     
  10. Hoople

    Hoople Account Removed

    7,198
    0
    34
    Wow Congrats! Sounds like you did an Awesome job of it! I also bet with the new Rotor magnets your charging system is really top notch. The manor in which you work makes me wonder if your day job is Brain Surgery.!! Nice Job.

    Mine was back ordered and expected by next week.:p