free website stats program SE comp. reinstall | Harley Davidson Forums

SE comp. reinstall

2006FXDCI

O.K. I tore down my SE comp. per instructions from this site and machined the slots in the sprocket. Put everything back together and filled with formula+ . Started bike, put it in gear and everything seems fine, but it got me thinking about something. I only removed the compensator components and not the clutch hub, I didn't make note of how many links of chain were between both sprockets before I tore it apart. So I don't know if I now have to much slack in the top of my chain or if the automatic tensioner will take out all that slack as the entire assembly rotates together? Any info would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts :wall

O.K. I tore down my SE comp. per instructions from this site and machined the slots in the sprocket. Put everything back together and filled with formula+ . Started bike, put it in gear and everything seems fine, but it got me thinking about something. I only removed the compensator components and not the clutch hub, I didn't make note of how many links of chain were between both sprockets before I tore it apart. So I don't know if I now have to much slack in the top of my chain or if the automatic tensioner will take out all that slack as the entire assembly rotates together? Any info would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts :wall

Me thinks you should be OK as long as you did not change the direction of the travel of the chain the automatic tensioner should pick up the slack JMO

You're fine. The comp will take up the slack at the top before it starts to pull the clutch basket. The tensioner will take up the slack at the bottom.

TQ

Thanks so much for your quick replies! I was seriously thinking of removing that cover and checking it out. I never took the chain off of the clutch basket sprocket so it is running in the same direction of travel. I just couldn't get my head around how the automatic adjuster could take out the slack of the chain.

Thanks so much for your quick replies! I was seriously thinking of removing that cover and checking it out. I never took the chain off of the clutch basket sprocket so it is running in the same direction of travel. I just couldn't get my head around how the automatic adjuster could take out the slack of the chain.

I trust you cut the tie on the adjuster, so it's OK.:hii

Not to worry

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Back