SE comp. reinstall

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 2006FXDCI, Feb 13, 2011.

1. 2006FXDCI

2006FXDCI Active Member

O.K. I tore down my SE comp. per instructions from this site and machined the slots in the sprocket. Put everything back together and filled with formula+ . Started bike, put it in gear and everything seems fine, but it got me thinking about something. I only removed the compensator components and not the clutch hub, I didn't make note of how many links of chain were between both sprockets before I tore it apart. So I don't know if I now have to much slack in the top of my chain or if the automatic tensioner will take out all that slack as the entire assembly rotates together? Any info would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts :wall

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Me thinks you should be OK as long as you did not change the direction of the travel of the chain the automatic tensioner should pick up the slack JMO

3. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

You're fine. The comp will take up the slack at the top before it starts to pull the clutch basket. The tensioner will take up the slack at the bottom.

TQ

4. 2006FXDCI

2006FXDCI Active Member

Thanks so much for your quick replies! I was seriously thinking of removing that cover and checking it out. I never took the chain off of the clutch basket sprocket so it is running in the same direction of travel. I just couldn't get my head around how the automatic adjuster could take out the slack of the chain.

5. eleft36

eleft36 Junior Member

I trust you cut the tie on the adjuster, so it's OK.:hii

Not to worry

Al

:USA
    :CONNECTICUT

6. 2006FXDCI

2006FXDCI Active Member

Yes I did cut the zip tie on the adjuster.:small3d026: