SE Camplate 25283-07 vs 25284-08

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by dolt, May 12, 2009.

1. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

Since the 25283-07 is no longer made and very few left, am thinking that the 25284-08 plate will work with early gear drive cams if the oil passages for the hydraulic tensioners were blocked off? I have heard that Andrews and/or S&S makes them but I have not checked. Has anyone tried this approach? I am not that keen on the plate, stock works for me, but the high volume oil pump is appealing.
  2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I did the roller chain conversion, and still have the original plate off my '03 UC. Still assembled with the pump, cams, silent chains and old tensioners. The only thing i want off it is the Baisley spring and plunger. You are welcome to the rest if you want it (just pay shipping). Send me a pm if so.

3. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

Thanks, a generous offer and, as a new member, very much appreciated. My problem is that I was running the early SE plate in my 107" '02 FLHT and, first time for me, a valve lifter retainer clip escaped and destroyed the oil pump. I hung on to my stock hardware, as you did, and can replace with stock but really like the new high volume pump for this application. That's why I am looking into the possibility of using the late plate, like yours, but blocking off the tensioner oil passages for the gear drive cams. The plate is a nice piece of hardware but the pump is the attraction for me.
  4. jonny oz

jonny oz Member

I've heard from people that have done this (blocked off the passages) that it works just fine.