free website stats program SE Air Cleaner Kit - Crankcase breather option | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Air Cleaner Kit - Crankcase breather option

I did this to my '94 Softail and like everyone I liked that the oil didn't drip all over the oil bag and passenger leg. I also added a fuel filter (5/16" inlet and about 1 1/2" dia.) to the bottom just to keep the oil from dripping on the floor of the garage. Nice fix TQ.

I have up-graded the Air Cleaner on my '12 Ultra Classic to the SE high-flow one (see pix below). This kit includes the mounting bolts shown in the first set of photos below that are hollow with a port in the side that vents the crankcase to the air cleaner and engine cylinder intake through ports in the back plate. This allows the oily mist from the crankcase to be sucked into the cylinders and "burned". But I do not like this for a couple of reasons:
  1. The oily crankcase vapor accumulates in the air filter area and eventually drips out of the A/C cover onto the engine making a mess
  2. Burning the oily mist in the engine contributes to carbon buildup and fouling of the IAC over time
So I decided to replace these mounting bolts with the OEM ones from the original backing plate that look like the second set of photos below. Those are also hollow, but they do not have a port in the side of the bolt but rather have a nipple on the end of the bolt (see pix). So I used some fuel hose from the auto parts store and routed that out from behind the cover and down between the engine and the tranny on the right side below the engine about 3 inches (see last 3 pix below). So any venting of the crankcase now blows down below the bike.

View attachment 17857 View attachment 17858
View attachment 17859 View attachment 17856

View attachment 17860

View attachment 17861

View attachment 17862

View attachment 17863

Cheers,

TQ
I got a 2012 limited I bought used , I put on a big sucker air cleaner and vented to the ground too.

Back