SE 80721-09 work with true duals?

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Sgt York, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Sgt York

Sgt York Active Member

Will the se 80721-09 work with true duals?

Thanks

2. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Those are the same slip-ons I have put on my 2007 they are designed for stock pipes ,not true duals. The left pipe is a scavenger

3. Sgt York

Sgt York Active Member

Well I hate to hear that. I put about a hundred miles on them with true duals. Think the engine will be ok?

What would be a good quite slipon that would work with true duals. monster ovals are out of my price range.

Thanks,

Earl

4. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

most of the aftermarket slip ons will work witht he true duals as they are a more balanced setup than SE slip ons

5. Sgt York

Sgt York Active Member

Well I guess I messed up again. I had V&H ovals and traded them for the SE because V&H ovals were too loud for the wife. I thought they would work with true duals. Seems like the more I do, the more I wasted money.

I just hope I did not hurt the engine.

6. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

If you like the look of the slash cut,buy a cheap set of rivcos and try the 2'' baffle,if thats too loud go to the 1 3/4

7. Sgt York

Sgt York Active Member

How are CYCLE SHACK??

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

Good muffler for the money, very similar to the SE mufflers.

9. Sgt York

Sgt York Active Member

Thanks all

Sorry to be such a problem child but now I'm really confused!! I just talked to Bumpus HD in Memphis, Abernathy HD in union city, and my independent in Selmer and they all said the SE should work. Not that they will work, but should.

Any thoughts on how to test this??

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  10. glider

glider Veteran Member

The key is in the construction of the muffler. Some mufflers you can look inside the shell front and rear and see if they are both constructed the same as far as the baffling like the older ones were but the newer ones are totally different between the right and the left mufflers. The left is basically used as a sound chamber to make the exhaust sound better without much provisions for flow and as such has a very short baffle in the rear of the muffler.

If you compare some slip ons from say a dyna, those would be pretty much the same muffler internally but when it comes to a bagger, the flow is desired to exit mainly from the right muffler for better scavenging of the rear cylinder and very little flow of exhaust in comparison from the left muffler.