free website stats program SE-211 Cams | Harley Davidson Forums

SE-211 Cams

ChopperDoc

I pieced together a (flat-top) 1550 Kit including the SE-211 cams. I did the top end work last week and was getting ready to swap out the cams when I read that they come in about 3K. I'm a putter and rarely get to 3K. Should I stop where I am, install the 211's or is there another cam the works better at lower RPM's? I only did the kit to fix a very minor leak that I had around the bottomsof the jugs, nothing to do with HP or torque. I'm satisfied with the bikes current performance and am leaning toward leavings things alone - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of thinking. Your thoughts???

You should be in the 3-4000 rpm range when upshifting,not lugging the motor at 1800-2500.When cruising you dont need the torque that the cams will give you if you cruise below 3000,so I would say go ahead and put them in.Change your riding style a bit and raise the RPM from start-ups to criusing speed.
I shift at between 3,000 and 3,200 most of the time - A little Higher when riding in larger groups, trying to minimize the accordion effect. I don't lug the motor, just not in a hurry any more.

I think I will take your advice and put the cams in - Any excuse to buy tools. The dealer wants $375.00 labor - I can buy all the cam/bearing installer/remover tools for $450.00 and I trust my work more than theirs anyway.

Piece of meaningless information - A guy pulled into the Dealership last Saturday with a documented 340,000 miles on his '02 Classic. Only thing he had done, other than regular maintenance and tires, was a top end job and added a six-speed. He said he is 9K away from his 500,000 mile pin. Made me wish I had documented all of my miles. In fifty years of Harley riding, I'm sure I have put on a few miles.

Back