free website stats program screeching sound 99 ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

screeching sound 99 ultra

cfiiguy

Banned
hey all,
i have a 99 ultra,all stock,with 31k on the dial. on the first ride of the day,(for the last couple weeks) when i first leave the drive way,on the first decell i get a horrible screeching sound. (like 10 people dragging their nails on a chalkboard).only on decell,and only once. after that it runs and sounds great.
no metal in the oil that i can tell, and all levels are full. (lucas 20/50 full syn. in all holes) any ideas where to look or what might be happening here?
THANKS

hey all,
i have a 99 ultra,all stock,with 31k on the dial. on the first ride of the day,(for the last couple weeks) when i first leave the drive way,on the first decell i get a horrible screeching sound. (like 10 people dragging their nails on a chalkboard).only on decell,and only once. after that it runs and sounds great.
no metal in the oil that i can tell, and all levels are full. (lucas 20/50 full syn. in all holes) any ideas where to look or what might be happening here?
THANKS

I had the same problem. Pitch changed when you speed up and slow down. Then after a few blocks, it goes away and comes ack the next morning It's your primary chain. It's too loose. If you have a service manual, it's a pretty easy thing to fix. As a matter of fact, I had to loosen mine today cause I had it a touch too tight from the last adjustment I made. It's just 4 torx bolts to remove the primary inspection cover, and check for play between the two gears. 3/4 inch when cold is perfect. I used centimeters today, more precise. Just less than two centimeters when cold. It was the first thing I learned how to do when I got mine not that long ago. BUBBIE helped me out huge. Check YouTube or use a service manual. Tighten it up a few millimeters and the screach will be gone
WAP.gif

THANKS guys, i checked the primary when i changed fluids b/4 riding this year. i'll double check to make sure. THANKS again!!

THANKS guys, i checked the primary when i changed fluids b/4 riding this year. i'll double check to make sure. THANKS again!!

If that is not it, check to see if the rear wheel is out of alignment causing the belt to rub on one side or the other of the pully. After checking tension and alignment, try jacking the rear wheel off the ground and run the engine with the tranny in neutral. There should be enough parasitic drag to turn the rear wheel and you can "lube" the sides of the belt with a crayon or candle.

TQ

Check and clean the rear belt. Have you recently been riding in the rain?

checked the primary, it had 1/2" of slack in it. should not be to loose. the belt had 3/8" travel @10# push when i serviced it. however i did not check alignment as nothing has changed since last year. i'll do that in the am as it is on the handy lift for the night. have not been in the rain since last summer.
thanks for the ideas so far!! i'll post on the alignment tomorrow.
steve

Pull the left side saddle bag & look at the axle area. Mine would screech when I deceled when the rear swing arm was broken. Good luck.

Toby

OK checked alignment on the belt,near as i can tell it is spot on. no signs of wear on the outer edges of the belt. the swing arm looks fine. took it for a ride and no noise. i hate when that happens. now i'll worry what the heck it was. i'm sure it didn't fix itself. THANKS for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK checked alignment on the belt,near as i can tell it is spot on. no signs of wear on the outer edges of the belt. the swing arm looks fine. took it for a ride and no noise. i hate when that happens. now i'll worry what the heck it was. i'm sure it didn't fix itself. THANKS for all the help.

Some times the belts get dirty and wet and will squeak a bit:D

Back