free website stats program Screaming Eagle | Harley Davidson Forums

Screaming Eagle

bikerdad

I received Screaming Eagle plugs and wires as a Christmas gift. What is different about them?

Do I have to make any other mods on the bike to use them?

Thanks for the help!

The Screaming Eagle wires are fatter, more insulation than stock wires, they may not fit stock wire holders, tho you can tie them up neatly with zip ties. I have run them on my last 3 bikes with NO problems:s

The Screaming Eagle wires are fatter, more insulation than stock wires, they may not fit stock wire holders, tho you can tie them up neatly with zip ties. I have run them on my last 3 bikes with NO problems:s

Jack,
Have we not talked about the negative effect that the Screaming Eagle plugs have with the ignition on some bikes????:bigsmiley29:

Jack,
Have we not talked about the negative effect that the Screaming Eagle plugs have with the ignition on some bikes????:bigsmiley29:

The ignition is what I am concerned about. Although I am not sure, I think that wires are wires. Thicker conductor and insulation seems like it would be be better but I wonder if any other ignition parts need to be changed like maybe the coil?

I just want to make sure it won't hurt anything else if I use them.

The ignition is what I am concerned about. Although I am not sure, I think that wires are wires. Thicker conductor and insulation seems like it would be be better but I wonder if any other ignition parts need to be changed like maybe the coil?

I just want to make sure it won't hurt anything else if I use them.

Nothing gets HURT....
May trigger the engine light BUT who cares "If" it throws a code or two...:rofl

signed....BUBBIE

If they are going on your '99 RK I wouldn't think they would have any effect. ION sensing didn't come out until around 2007 maybe later, I don't recall. Where is HOOPLE when you need him??
tourbox

Jack,

If they are going on your '99 RK I wouldn't think they would have any effect. ION sensing didn't come out until around 2007 maybe later, I don't recall. Where is HOOPLE when you need him??
tourbox

Indeed we have talked about this, tho the spark plug resistance is the culprit here, the wires spec out OK resistance wise:s

OK, I guess this means that with my 99 they won't be any different so I will go with that and use them as standard.

Thanks to all for the help.

tourbox

I do believe Delphi introduced it to Harley on the 01 models. The spark plug resistance as I understand it is the reader for the ECM, also cylinder pressures come to play here in modified engines, that said if you were to use TOO high or low resistance wires along with the wrong plugs you could be expecting the ECM to not be able to detect the knock JMO TROY, Mich., July 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Delphi Automotive Systems (NYSE: DPH)
has been selected to supply the engine management system (EMS) electronics for
the 2001 Softail platform for Harley-Davidson Motorcycles. The Delphi EMS
system is the first "ion-sense" and hybrid engine controller based-
technologies ever used on a motorcycle. The 2001 Harley-Davidson engine
management system utilizes a Delphi engine control module, manifold absolute
pressure (MAP) sensor and dual ignition coil.
"Our systems approach integrates hardware with electronics controllers,
engine management software and algorithms to deliver a highly efficient and
sophisticated engine management system," said Chuck Meier, general director of
North America Regional Marketing & Sales for Delphi Delco Electronics Systems.
"This engine management system meets the performance, emissions and fuel
economy demands required by our customer and end-users."
The Delphi EMS features "ion-sense" technology to help control engine
knock by measuring knock intensity in the cylinder combustion chamber. With
"ion-sensing" technology, knock detection is achieved using the spark plug gap
itself as the knock detector. It is more cost-effective as well as
aesthetically appealing since it does not require added external hardware on
the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back