free website stats program Screaming Eagle super tuner? | Harley Davidson Forums

Screaming Eagle super tuner?

Marilyn FLSTN

It all started with a need for some storage on my Deluxe. Decided to go with RK hardbags, love the look and the size of the bags. Now I need to change exhaust to allow for the bags. Think I am pretty well decided on the V & H true duals but I got a question that I can't seem to get a straight answer on. Do I have to change the air cleaner? Hearing the Arlen Ness Big Sucker is the way to go if I do. AND...do I then need to purchase the Screaming Eagle super tuner? Fact is I will never need or use the full torque or horsepower of this bike as it is so increasing them is not a necessity for me. However, I do want my bike to run correctly and do not want to suffer any damage due to not tuning when it is necessary. I can't wait to get this bike ready cuz it's time to start putting the miles on, any help is soooooo appreciated!

Marilyn; I'd say anytime you change one of the "major three" components (air, exhaust, or engine work) - tuning's required. In your case w/the dual exhaust - invest in a simple tuner & you'll be able to allow for this UG & future work as well. One of the preferred tuners is Dobeck Performance (TFI or GEN3.X) and I'd say give them a call to see which works best w/your bike UG plans. Good Luck!

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft

Do I have to change the air cleaner? ..do I then need to purchase the Screaming Eagle super tuner?

No you don't have to change the Air Cleaner or get a SE tuner kit. If your not interested in getting every last ounce of power out of the engine, I would take Iceman's advice and get a TFI. It will do more than do the job your needing.

Even on a totally late model (post closed loop) stock bike, that would be the way to go.

Went to the local dealership and got this for an answer....

Should get the SE super tuner, then dyno it for best tuning. After that if I choose to for optimum performance- get the air cleaner. Sounds pretty much like what I am hearing here.

The question I now have is this: after I purchase the SE tuner, do I have the option of downloading maps? And, does this tuner benefit me at home in any way (ability to identify and correct issues from this tuners abilities) or is it purely for the dealerships tuning purposes? If I truly do not need the tuner, that's great. I am not trying to be a tightwad about this but as I said, I was just looking for storage and got pushed into the exhaust remodel, which I will love the looks of when I am done.

And believe it or not, the dealership actually suggested Kuryakyn for an air cleaner as well as the HD. :D

I agree with Smitty here. No Ness Big Sucker. Its garbage thats not worth the money. S.E., Wimmer. are better choices. I and many others have had issues with the Ness Big Sucker.

Bodeen

Should get the SE super tuner, then dyno it for best tuning. Sounds pretty much like what I am hearing here.

??... Actually sounds like the opposite. We are saying to go with a piggy back tuner instead of SE Super Tuner. The Super Tuner is a great product but it can get involved and to really use its features, you need an exhaust analyzer.

Sorry, should have specified that it sounded like what I was reading in past threads, not specifically this one. I was told that the piggy back tuners were bulky and not much room for them, whereas the SERT does not have that issue. Guess it is really more about the cost vs. performance at this point. Just ordered the exhaust so that is on its way. I will definitely do more research on the piggy back and the SERT though. And I will certainly post pics and details after the project is done. I am very thankful for the advice so far everyone, I really do appreciate all of the feedback. Someone has to keep me in line!:s

Well if you are considering the SEST, yes it is nice. You will be able to download your own maps. You can also custom tailor any map or part of a map. You can read DTC codes and clear them also. It also always you to perform live monitoring of all engine data on the fly (map pressure, spark advance, IAC set setting, O2 sensor output, RPM etc etc.)
It also always you to perform data recording while you ride the bike. (record Time ~ 15 min)

To really use it to the max, you need a portable exhaust analyzer.

I would look into the revolution performance EMS. Its a new system and the reviews seem good. I am thinking about trying it myself. I am going to keep reading up on it for now. I would like to here from somone on this forum who is using it. Don't know if anyone is.

One advange of going with the SEST over a fueler is when using true duals one pipe will be longer then the other creating more back pressure in one cylinder then the other, with a SEST the front cylinder can be tuned with one map and the rear with another on a dyno. I would also do the air cleaner with the pipes & tune if money is not a issue.

Back