free website stats program Screaming Eagle Spark Plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

Screaming Eagle Spark Plugs

pdh62

Went to the dealer to get spark plugs........he handed me the Screaming Eagle plugs.....I bought them...just thought a little higher quality plug.
Noticed on the box where it said gap at .035 I know std plugs .038- .043.....
If I use these SE plugs...gap at .035 ?????

Thanks so much

I bought both the s.e. plugs and the standard plugs last time. I put the standard in and ran it a hundred miles or so and noticed I was getting what sounded like spark knock. I put the s.e. plugs in and whalla no more knock. And I did gap them at .035.

I bought both the s.e. plugs and the standard plugs last time. I put the standard in and ran it a hundred miles or so and noticed I was getting what sounded like spark knock. I put the s.e. plugs in and whalla no more knock. And I did gap them at .035.

This is what I've heard: Harley Davidsons are engineered to some pretty exact specs (don't laugh) and the EFI systems can be pretty finicky about something as seemingly insignificant as different spark plugs other than the ones they were engineered with. In other words, some Spark Knock Detectors will see other plugs as being different (resistance for example) and actually cause the sensor to register knocking. I've never given this any thought until I bought my first EFI bike. Having personally believed I noticed better performance in my EVO with SE, or Twin Fire plugs, I tried some NGK Iridium plugs in my EFI bike with the SERT and had difficulty eliminating small 1.5 to 2 deg spark knock on my Data Runs. So I switched to the stock HD plugs. Guess what? I got rid of the Knock Detection without changing any settings. So what does that mean? Coincidence, or...? What I'm suggesting is since my experience was almost the opposite of what Coopernicus' was, maybe each bike can be different?

Got my bike out today after I installed the SE plugs.......I noticed the diference in a positive way !!
Big Thumbs up.............

Good deal, keep us posted on the performance and how you like them after you have a few miles under your belt.

Back