free website stats program screaming eagle heads | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

screaming eagle heads

hey dolt, you ought to be a salesman, I think I'm going to a bigger bore. do you have a phone number for the head porting shop by you. whats your take on the S&S 97 in. big bore kit, includes cylinders, pistons, rings, wrist pins, gaskets, and free shipping for $710.00 . the kit says it would have 9.7 to 1 compression plus my heads have been milled 050. with a .030 gasket what would you estimate the compression to be.

hey dolt, you ought to be a salesman, I think I'm going to a bigger bore. do you have a phone number for the head porting shop by you. whats your take on the S&S 97 in. big bore kit, includes cylinders, pistons, rings, wrist pins, gaskets, and free shipping for $710.00 . the kit says it would have 9.7 to 1 compression plus my heads have been milled 050. with a .030 gasket what would you estimate the compression to be.

OK, I am going to lay out a program for ya that will save you some money.

I don't know where you live but the shops I am familiar with may not be in your neighborhood. I will be happy to give you the contact information for Lozano's Brothers Porting; Mike does offer a 98"/107" kit using the owners cylinders and CP pistons and he is an S&S dealer so includes S&S cams with his kits, he is partial to the 585. Mike's shop is in New Braunfels, Texas and is one of he best porters in the country. I don't know what Mike's head porting is going for these days but I will be out at his shop next Saturday and will check on pricing for his 98" kit and head porting.

There are three other builders/porters that I trust; Don Dorfman DBA HD Performance; Scott Palmer DBA Hillside Cycles and Kirby Apathy DBA VeeTwin Performance.Having said that, there is another alternative with VeeTwin Performance in Florida. All three offer a basic "street" port job that includes larger intake and exhaust valves, SERDI valve job, new guide seals, milling for the desired compression for the selected cam set (if you choose to replace the 570 which I would probably keep as it is a great all around cam but does need the right compression), bowl blending, port "contouring" and D shaping of the exhaust port but not full porting. These heads will all flow more than the SE Performance heads and the cost runs between $400-$500. They will all work on an exchange basis by charging a "core" charge/deposit until they receive the owner's heads in good condition. They all also offer Stage I, II, III and IV packages and the cost could run up to $1000+.

They will all bore your cylinders to 98", provide CP or Wiseco pistons, hone and fit pistons and gap rings. The cost for this package usually runs about $500-$600.

So, you can Google search on the three shops included above, get the contact information and give them each a call to discuss your project. Talk about riding style, what you expect, exchange program, time required and pricing. They are all professional shops; can't go wrong with either one. You will develop a feel for the one you would like to work with. Distance and shipping cost may be a factor but I don't think it will make a difference.

Like I said, I will talk to Mike and get the information from him but if you would prefer to speak to him directly, the shop telephone number is 830 228-5874.

As for the S&S kit, particularly the 107" kit, I have heard some instances where the cylinders had to be honed .002" or a bit more to true up the bore. I would not install any "kit" without checking the trueness of the bore and the piston to cylinder fitment; I would not install out of the box. I honestly believe you are better off boring your seasoned cylinders for your project.

Let me know if you have any questions; happy to help any way I can.:s

heres a question, or really a thought, to show how little i know..i have an 88b 2002 fatboy , quite stock , and just love it to death. its strong and smooth. im wondering, unless you're racing/competing, what you would gain? to me if it runs good, an incremental add of power dont really mean much. for sure, to each his own..
good luck and enjoy..

heres a question, or really a thought, to show how little i know..i have an 88b 2002 fatboy , quite stock , and just love it to death. its strong and smooth. im wondering, unless you're racing/competing, what you would gain? to me if it runs good, an incremental add of power dont really mean much. for sure, to each his own..
good luck and enjoy..

The answer to your question is because you can. Like you my steed 08 EG is all stock and could not be happier. So what ever floats your boat. But it is quite cool to see a built Harley out run most motorcycles.:D

good luck and enjoy..

It's just one of those areas where there are hundreds of opinions and reasons for doing something. I did the Stage I on my bike strictly to modify its sound away from stock. i wanted a deeper sound without getting overly loud and I got just what I wanted. I didn't care at all that I got a couple percentage points of additional oomph.Everyone has a different motivation and its really neat that these bikes are flexible enough to satisfy just about everyone.

thanks for the comments,guys..i went through this with a 91 vette..from stock to several stages of more air to a 383 etcetc..(EDIT) got faster and faster and caught fire and she was gone, guess im just jaded by modifications.. ( got a stock 94 zr1 and never looked back)..and now that i think of it, my betsy has some vance and hines pipes..:)
apologies to original poster for babbling, but it struck a chord

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck and enjoy..

100HP and 100Ft.Lbs of Torque comes to mind........:bigsmiley10:

good luck and enjoy..

I understand your train of thought and I too didn't need to make a screamer out of my '05RG. What I did want was to take away some of the restrictions that come with your ride from the factory. Free breathing AC and baffled but less restrictive exhaust for a good deep sound. A fueler of some type will give you a little more power with not much drop off in fuel efficiency. Your bike will also run cooler.

good luck and enjoy..

Best answer to your question is that a stock TC88 is a dog; nothing personal and not being disrespectful but just stating a fact. Does that mean that everyone that rides a stock TC88 should spend $2K-$3K to join the 100/100 club, certainly not. If one likes their stock TC88 or TC96, that is wonderful and I am happy for them. As has been said, each to his own but a stock Harley does not cut it for me. I know my bikes can't run with the crotch rockets but when another Harley pulls up next to me at a light and I know the game is "on", I like being confident that the other guy will most likely see nothing but my taillights and by the time I hit third gear, I am gone.

However, pure speculation on my part, but I would bet a six pack that if you rode a Harley that made 120TQ/110HP, you would see your stock TC88 in a different light. Kinda like the difference between dating the high school prom queen and a Victoria's Secret model.:D:bigsmiley10:

Back