free website stats program screamin' eagle upgrade ... or not. | Harley Davidson Forums

screamin' eagle upgrade ... or not.

Screamin' Eagle® Performance Clutch Kit #37969-03A
Screamin' Eagle® Twin Cam Performance Race Clutch Hub Kit #37976-08
Screamin' Eagle® Big Twin Compensator #40274-08

what would replacing stock parts with these listed above do for my '09 RKC?
would the difference be noticeable? would it extend the life of the clutch? or is this more for folks into "performance" machines?
and, to tell the truth, i don't know the difference between a clutch kit and a clutch hub kit.
can someone explain these upgrades to me?
i have read glider's post about the compensator upgrade.
i have money from the sale of my last bike that i want to use wisely on my RKC. is this a worthy investment or a waste?

Do you feel the need to up grade your clutch? Is it slipping or not performing right or are you going to be racing your bike? The clutch kit goes inside the clutch hub kit. The clutch kit is the plates and friction parts that make a clutch work. Spent your money on engine performance or comfort of the rider first, or at least I would.

IMHO, these are WAY overkill unless you are making significant up-grades to the engine that will produce significant changes to the stock HP and TQ performance.

TQ

many thanks, guys.
sounds like TQuentin is right ... this is WAY overkill for the kind of riding i do.
my clutch is fine. no issues. i just wanted the best components in my HD that i could get, but this sounds unnecessary to me after reading these replies.
a new clutch spring is easy & cheap enough. and i'd love to change out the compensator but the $$$ it'd cost for the HD mechanic to do it seems really steep. glider ground his primary cover to make it fit. the mechanic wants to take the whole thing out to install the compensator ... adding many hours onto the job and way too much money.
i, of course, am too inexperienced to take a shot at it myself.
so for now, i think changing the clutch spring and changing the shift-linkage will have to do. as other things get worn and need replacing, i can think of upgrading then.
i do not want to do a performance upgrade yet, i do not race the bike, etc. i just want it to last in good shape for years and years and years. if that meant replacing the clutch now, while i have the money, i would have done it. that's all.
sure do appreciate your opinions.

cheers.

That setup isn't needed on your 09. If you did engine work to boost the power, it may be needed then but a stock engine even with a stage 1 and exhaust and a mild cam would not require it.

That was "GS34" that did the grinding on the primary.:D

That setup isn't needed on your 09. If you did engine work to boost the power, it may be needed then but a stock engine even with a stage 1 and exhaust and a mild cam would not require it.

That was "GS34" that did the grinding on the primary.:D

oops. sorry 'bout that, glider.
but is yours the stock compensator set-up? or did you feel changing out the compensator was worth the effort on your bike?

Back