free website stats program Screamin' Eagle® Billet Cam Support Plate with High Volume Oil Pump | Harley Davidson Forums

Screamin' Eagle® Billet Cam Support Plate with High Volume Oil Pump

jamez

Hi guys,

I am riding a 2011 103cu RK. Still under warranty and the mileage is about 16000km/9941miles. Air cleaner, stock muffs (got caught for aftermarket exhaust recently, hefty fine!) no cat in header, supertuner.

Thing is, sometime back, I kept hearing a intermittent clicking sound in most gears while accelerating. Took it to the dealership a few times was told it's the nature of the bike and it's normal.

Did a servicing recently and a Moco tech happened to be at the dealership and I was told the senior tech discussed this issue. Apparently, they identified the sound to be coming from cam chain tensioners. I was told that it was wearing out and as such, the noise. They said it was still within specs and the bike was still rideable.

Since the cam chain tensioners are wear and tear parts, no warranty. I could have em changed out now but they told me it was not necessary. I'm worried about the cam support plate and the oil pump.

P&A guy recommended me the Screamin' Eagle® Billet Cam Support Plate with High Volume Oil Pump (P/N 25282-11) upgrade. Improves oil flow and cam support plate is more sturdy.

Should I go along with this along with new cam chain tensioners? Given that there is more oil volume, would it also make the awful valve ticking less audible? If that upgrade would do that and take away that weird clicking noise I think I might want to do it. However, it costs more then a grand in my country and I wanna make sure this is the right thing to do. Any drawbacks besides financially? I am not competent technically and do not have the necessary space and tools to do this myself...any comments would be appreciated!

Welcome,,,,,

I would NOT do any SE cam support plate,,,, Nothing wrong with what you have... I think Stock Plate to be Better than the SE plate..

The Stock plate is made of a Tough casting mix and the SE is Billet soft aluminum surface hardened and has the tendency to wear out sooner than the stock plate,,,, especially where the oil pump Gerotors Rub on the cam plate.

As far as oil pump You Have the High Volume pump, it is Stock in the 96" and larger motors of todays bikes..

I would only replace the main cam chain tensioner as this is probably the one that needs it.. Right?

Mine (09) looked a little pitted at the 25,000 mile mark. the inner one (cam too cam) looked as new as new..

The outer cam chain tensioner didn't need any changing Yet,,,, as it was just worn in... Having a few small pin size holes on the face of it, I replaced it..

I don't think I would do SE anything on the cam plate or the oil pump.... You have the Best right now..

correct me IF anybody feels I'm wrong here..:D

signed....BUBBIE

Since you already have the hi vol oil pump and the support plate you have is more durable than the SE, I would be looking for a new dealer to hear the clicking noise and I would not be listening to this P&A guy.

Hi Bubbie amd HDDon, thanx for your replies. I appreciate it.

I wasn't aware that the stock cam support plate and oil pump were already superior. I was thinking if the SE plates and pumps are such a good idea like it sounds, why was it not in the bikes in the first place? Guess I have saved some money!

I am seriously unsure which of the tensioners needs replacing as they were not being very specific about the whole issue. I don't suppose they mean the inner one because I doubt they would actually tear that deep into it to check. Whatever I know from my bike, I read on several online platforms. By saying main tensioner you do mean the outer tensioner right?

Well anyways, there is only ONE dealership here. The next one's another country away so I gotta deal with them haha.

If they looked at the outer tensioner they could inspect the inner with a small inspection mirror. I think you have the newer hydraulic tensioner system.

If they looked at the outer tensioner they could inspect the inner with a small inspection mirror. I think you have the newer hydraulic tensioner system.

Yup newer models already have the hydraulic system. That I know. But wasn't so sure about the hi flow oil pump and great quality cam plate. Guess I worry too much about the noise. Can hear some ticking/clicking/light knocking during warm up/idling. Was told it's the nature of the thing. hopefully it is. I don't wanna pay so much for this bike and end up with a broken one.

Sometimes I wear a half helmet (mandatory helmet laws here) and the noise is worrying. If I wear my 3/4 noise is not that bad.

Wish I was more technically competent so I could have first hand knowledge of what's what in it.

I made this comment to some other members that had "noises" they couldn't quite describe, but that the dealer says they all do that or it's just the nature of the machine. See if the dealer will crank up several of the floor models with motors like yours and see if they all make this noise. If they all sound like yours thank them and ride it like you want, if they don't sound like yours ask them to see why.

I made this comment to some other members that had "noises" they couldn't quite describe, but that the dealer says they all do that or it's just the nature of the machine. See if the dealer will crank up several of the floor models with motors like yours and see if they all make this noise. If they all sound like yours thank them and ride it like you want, if they don't sound like yours ask them to see why.

that's a great idea. I'll do that. Thanx! :newsmile090:

Seriously cam tensioners already going on a 2011 with 10,000 miles I thought the newer hydraulic type were to significantly outlast spring type.
I just replaced mine with the SE camplate and tensioners at 16,000 and my spring tensioners were about 10% worn.

Seriously cam tensioners already going on a 2011 with 10,000 miles I thought the newer hydraulic type were to significantly outlast spring type.
I just replaced mine with the SE camplate and tensioners at 16,000 and my spring tensioners were about 10% worn.

yeah that was what I was told.

Maybe it's gotta to with my riding style?

Back