free website stats program Scratched Exhaust Pipe, Can it be fixed? | Harley Davidson Forums

Scratched Exhaust Pipe, Can it be fixed?

NYHarley

I just picked up a set of Rinehart 2 in to 2 pipes for a really sweet price. The only downfall is that the pipe has a couple pretty deep scratches. They are on the bottom side of the pipe and hard to notice without actually walking up to the bike and tipping your head down.

Is it possible to polish out these scratches with say a DA Sander or buffing wheel?

don't know...might want to start with extra fine steel wool? I've heard some people have had success with that(#4000) I think

Chrome plating being only a few mils thick is basically unrepairable. Once the scratch is there. it's for life unless you have it re chromed.

Last edited:
I am not too worried about it, because you can't really see it. I know my OCD will get the best of me, because I know the scratches are there....

Like my dad always says, "just ride the Darn thing!!!"

Glider is right. Can't really fix chrome. You might clean it up carefully and keep it lubed or waxed so it won't rust at the scratches. BTW, as you are riding by with that big smile on your face, no one will notice a scratch on your pipe.

Back