free website stats program scraping sound ?? | Harley Davidson Forums

scraping sound ??

sabberr89

Hi im new hear to the forums but I took my 2008 883L out for a ride today and noticed a scraping sound when moving a slow speeds when turning left. It seems to continue for a bit after,but don't notice when turning right. but I am not sure what it could be. I went for a 100 mile ride about a week ago and had no problem. Could it be the kick stand/jiffy stand spring worn out allowing it to scrape? any input would be great thanks

Usually "IF" the kickstand, It will show Loose and hang down... Where does it ride when you put it UP.. Should park itself against the side frame and Not hang down. Spring should keep a tight feeling on the side stand when you push the stand down to lean bike.

signed....BUBBIE

Front brake pads rubbing? Does it do it by just rolling straight across the drive way not running?

well it doesn't make the noise not running and bike seems to move smooth rolling it around under my power nothings seems to be catching. The kick stand hangs down a bit off the frame maybe..2 inches but I tried holding it up with a zip tie and when I turned left out o the drive way I got the noise again seems like its comes almost randomly..but what I can tell is its coming from around that area(kick stand). Everything worked great on my 100 mile ride I did , then it sat for bout 2 days or so and it started that noise. Its hard to describe.. but almost exactly like your kick stand scuffing the pavement. Would mileage help ? thanks for the help too guys

Think I would be looking at the wheel bearings. Could be that one is starting to fail and a corner under power exerts just enough more side load then when you are pushing the bike to cause the noise.

hmm is there any tricks to tell if its a bearing or something with the pads? i checked the pads visually (didn't pull em off) the fronts seemed ok and the rears were worn quite a bit ..id say less then a 1/8 left on em that cause the issue ? thanks for the help guys ??

hmm is there any tricks to tell if its a bearing or something with the pads? i checked the pads visually (didn't pull em off) the fronts seemed ok and the rears were worn quite a bit ..id say less then a 1/8 left on em that cause the issue ? thanks for the help guys ??

Jack the front end up, spin the wheel with your hand on the fork tubes, if the bearings are bad you should feel the vibrations, grab the wheel @ 12 and 6 and rock it see how much it moves

Back