free website stats program Scooter Crazies | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Scooter Crazies

I use to wave at all people riding something with two wheels and a motor. I stopped after some poor fellow almost lost control of his Vespa trying to wave back. He regained control after some interesting weaving and woobling. There needs to be a riders course for these folks.

I don't see how a license is going to fix the issue. Not doing much for cages drivers last time I checked. Just another tax.

I haven't had too much issue with scooters, but in Baltimore City there are significant problems with "youths" riding dirt bikes and 4 wheelers in the city.
Not much is done about it.

YES YES YES - I totally agree with what you said -- it has been one of my pet peeves that teenagers AND adults ride 4-wheelers on highways and streets and cops NEVER say or do anything (probably cops riding them) -- but they will do whatever it takes to make sure I am riding correctly and properly and legally.

Bill

Yeah,

I have only been ridding for about 3 years.
Origianlly I was going to get a scooter.
Save on gas commute to work and all.

Learned here in NY you do need a permit.
So took the basic rider course, the wife and I.
So then we are both like.. yeah bikes are not that tough and get more bang for the buck.

Infact before we took the course and starting shopping for bikes I was shocked that the one dealer was ready to sell me a bike eventhough I told them I dont have a pemit yet.
He was like "I have been ridding for years without one"
Bought my bike somewhere else.

Now Im on my 2nd bike moved up from Shadow 750 to FatBoy.
-Helps that I won it in a raffle. :D
May still get a scooter one day. Looks like great fun too.

I have a Vespa Scooter also, its a fun PTW but I do agree that some scooter riders are not safe. I did one group ride and never have since. at least once a week you can read a crash post on the Vespa forums. most seem to be new riders or older riders that just started to ride and have money to burn. with scooters @ 250cc and 80MPH it tends to get them in trouble

I saw this guy going down Broadway one time. 49cc scooter, full leathers, boots, chaps, heavy jacket, full face helmet, everything. About 90 degrees. Going about 20 mph. Crazy

We had a moped when I was only 16 years old, a drivers license is all you needed. Anyway I had shirt with a picture of this BIG fat guy on a moped wearing a vest with the words "Moped Manglers" on it. I still laugh today when I think about wearing that shirt. I was lucky not to get into any fights.

In Thailand I saw the 125 cc going down the road with a bbq pit in the side car with a pig on a spit and smoke coming out cause it was still cooking. I counted 7 people on on scooter. They outnumber cars about 20 to one over there.

Well I guess I am one of those "Scooter Crazies"...I ride my Harley XL1200R much more than the Vespa GT200 in my garage...BUT the Vespa is just as much a hoot to ride, only in a different way. That "little beast" weighs 300 lbs, but hits 70 mph, can howl both brakes to flatten my face into the windshield and handling is shall we say RAZOR QUICK.

...even faster than my full on sportbike and certainly not as lazy as a larger cruiser motorcycle. Crazy, yeah...I have ridden virtually everything on two wheels, and love 'em all! :D

I haven't had too much issue with scooters, but in Baltimore City there are significant problems with "youths" riding dirt bikes and 4 wheelers in the city.
Not much is done about it.

My apartment is right next to the Orleans Ave bridge @ St Paul St. When it's a nice day there is always a pack of about 40 dirt bikes and ATVs doing wheelies across that bridge. Happens multiple times a day. The Baltimore PD is not allowed to do anything about it because the chased some 13 year old one time who wrecked and died. There was some big public out cry and now a rule not to chase if they take off. Since they all take off the cops don't bother. I've seen a kid on a dirt bike pull up next to a cop at red light in down town. He looked right at the cop then ran the red light and the cop didn't even pay attention to him. It's a bit ridiculous.

Back