free website stats program scissoring and high TIR troubles | Harley Davidson Forums

scissoring and high TIR troubles

I am trying to find information about scissoring and high TIR troubles with the B model 1450 engines. It seems to be an all to common problem with these engines. What causes it? what is the best fix? What are tall tail signs??
thanks to all that respond!!!!

I thought the problem really started with the press fitted cranks from 2007 & up.. Does your 2001 have a pressed crank pin? I don't believe so.

Im not exactly sure. I have a bad vibration problem and have been told by the harley shop that it's in my flywheel. I have been trying to find info online about this and i am having NO luck. Does anyone know the weakness problem for this year, make, model.... 2001 (fxstdI) deuce...

My bike used to run so smooth, now i am busting brackets off repetitively. im willing to do whatever it takes to fix it!!!!

Im not exactly sure. I have a bad vibration problem and have been told by the harley shop that it's in my flywheel. I have been trying to find info online about this and i am having NO luck. Does anyone know the weakness problem for this year, make, model.... 2001 (fxstdI) deuce...

My bike used to run so smooth, now i am busting brackets off repetitively. im willing to do whatever it takes to fix it!!!!

Sounds like the tell-tale signs. Check these out:

Crankshaft Runout (videos) - Harley Davidson Community

Pinion shaft runout and cam shafts' drive systems - Harley Davidson Community

Twisting Cranks and Chain Driven Cams - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

There was another post on the 88B and vibration and it turned out to be the bearings on the counterbalance had failed.

There was another post on the 88B and vibration and it turned out to be the bearings on the counterbalance had failed.

Yes. That is another possible source of bad vibration on the 88B. But it is easier to eliminate a scissored crank as the culprit before diving in to get to the balancers.

Strip the cam chest and the primary, then measure runout at the pinion shaft on the right, and the drive shaft on the left. This will tell you what you have with respect to the crankshaft.

If you are gonna split the case to check/repair all the stuff in there, consider having the crankshaft trued, TIG welded and re-trued. That will take the whole scissoring thing off the table in the future, even if you monster up the engine.

TQ

Back