free website stats program Scientific Testing Comparison of MC vs Auto Oils | Harley Davidson Forums

Scientific Testing Comparison of MC vs Auto Oils

I didn't read the whole thing in great detail but one thing did catch my eye - the article is 17 years old.

I'm sure many more people will comment that are more savvy than me on this subject!

A very interesting article comparing the higher priced MC oils vs the Auto oils available locally. Helped me save a ton.

Testing Motorcycle Oil
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

I didn't read the whole thing in great detail but one thing did catch my eye - the article is 17 years old.

I'm sure many more people will comment that are more savvy than me on this subject!

Yep, read that a couple years ago. It would be better if it was comparing current automotive and motorcycle oils. Oil formulations change over the years so what was true 10 years ago may not hold true today.

I had talked to Castrol about their 20-50 auto oil and they were very clear to not use their auto oils in air cooled engines, they are not formulated for the extremes of an air cooled engine. However an arguement can be made when you consider the use of auto oil in lawn mowers and other air cooled engines without issue......

However an arguement can be made when you consider the use of auto oil in lawn mowers and other air cooled engines without issue......

I'd argue that there's a big difference between running your lawn mower for maybe an hour a week and riding your bike a few thousand miles between oil changes.

In most all applications, the properties of oils have changed so drastically that it would basically make that article null and void.

Excellent posts above here about the air cooled engines and the use of the proper oils.

I guess mowing three acres at a clip isn't the same as a 300 mile cruise but..
Anyway, I would not trade my synthetics for anything. I used Amsoil for the first time a few years ago and the difference was immediatly noticable. I got caught in our local "parkway" traffic and the temp difference was amazing and the oil held the pressure to 10psi. Yeah good stuff.....

Back