free website stats program Scavenger Oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

Scavenger Oil change

Mongo1958

Need a little help

I did an oil change using the Scavenger total oil change system. It worked great. What should I toque down the tapered pipe plug to. There was red lock tight on the treads. I looked in the Maint. Manual but it did not show a torque value. The Oild plug and trany plugs have a torque setting of 14-21 Ft Lbs but nothing listed for the tapered pipe plug.

Be careful using RED locktite...it is for near permanent locking, only heat or fresh solvent will soften it. Use BLUE if you want to be able to remove fastener/adapter. The Self Help section has a thread that will take you to soft copy or CD service manual providers.

Need a little help

I did an oil change using the Scavenger total oil change system. It worked great. What should I toque down the tapered pipe plug to. There was red lock tight on the treads. I looked in the Maint. Manual but it did not show a torque value. The Oild plug and trany plugs have a torque setting of 14-21 Ft Lbs but nothing listed for the tapered pipe plug.

http://www.roguechopper.com/pdf/TC-Ainstall-oilchange.pdf I did not see a torque value

Mongo, I was looking for this earlier to do the scavenger oil change as well.

In my 2011 service manual the torque setting for the tapered pipe plug is in the section for oil pan installation. "Tighten to 18-22 ft-lbs (24.4-29.8 Nm)"

The book also wants Loctite Pipe Sealant with Teflon 565 used. My question is how hard will it be taking the plug off next time?

I plan to do the scavenger oil change in a couple weeks. You said it was easy, no issues with getting the tapered plug out?

From what I have read here (on this forum) and what I know, no one I know uses red loctite on drain plugs. The only place I know of that uses red loctite is the casing plugs which as far as I know are never removed. Is this true?

Last edited:
Mongo, I was looking for this earlier to do the scavenger oil change as well.

In my 2011 service manual the torque setting for the tapered pipe plug is in the section for oil pan installation. "Tighten to 18-22 ft-lbs (24.4-29.8 Nm)"

The book also wants Loctite Pipe Sealant with Teflon 565 used. My question is how hard will it be taking the plug off next time?

I plan to do the scavenger oil change in a couple weeks. You said it was easy, no issues with getting the tapered plug out?

Ah yes. I found it on the same page that I was reading for the torque limits of the oil and trany plugs. I should have taken the time to read the full page. I'm such a goober :swoon

tapered threads use the force of friction between the metal to "more or less" seal themselves. however, nothing is perfect so we use a thread sealant. the purpose of the teflon is to prevent galling and to allow for easy removal. the base material is still a dope or thread sealant. the teflon is just an additive. don't over do it. too much is not better. mores law do not apply.
a little bit is good, more is better, too much is just enuff.

Back