free website stats program Scavenger Oil Change Questions | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Scavenger Oil Change Questions

I don't have any experience with this Rogue Oil Scavenger at all so I can not add anything here. What I did want to add was that a couple of weekends ago I was at the local HD shop getting a cup of coffee. I was talking to a guy who was there to sample the donuts. While we were jabbering away, the service manager comes by to grab a donut and coffee and this guy asks him about the Rogue Oil Scavenger. The service manager said it scavenges a little bit of dirty oil from a softail engine but when it was hooked up to a twin cam late model touring engine it would only get out 4-6 ozs., at the most. His position was that it was a waste of money. I piped up and asked him if he had ever used it and he admited he had not. His belief was that there was only a few ounces down in the sump on a touring engine and it was not practical to spend the money on this Rogue setup for so little oil. I was a little bit skeptical of his position but said nothing more because I have never seen it in action. Since then, I have watched the video on their web site and it certainly indicates it will remove much more than a few ounces of old, black oil. So, what about it touring bike owners. Ever had one of these? Does it get 2/3 of a quart of black oil out of your late model twin cam touring bikes or was the service manager just blowing smoke?

I don't have any experience with this Rogue Oil Scavenger at all so I can not add anything here. What I did want to add was that a couple of weekends ago I was at the local HD shop getting a cup of coffee. I was talking to a guy who was there to sample the donuts. While we were jabbering away, the service manager comes by to grab a donut and coffee and this guy asks him about the Rogue Oil Scavenger. The service manager said it scavenges a little bit of dirty oil from a softail engine but when it was hooked up to a twin cam late model touring engine it would only get out 4-6 ozs., at the most. His position was that it was a waste of money. I piped up and asked him if he had ever used it and he admited he had not. His belief was that there was only a few ounces down in the sump on a touring engine and it was not practical to spend the money on this Rogue setup for so little oil. I was a little bit skeptical of his position but said nothing more because I have never seen it in action. Since then, I have watched the video on their web site and it certainly indicates it will remove much more than a few ounces of old, black oil. So, what about it touring bike owners. Ever had one of these? Does it get 2/3 of a quart of black oil out of your late model twin cam touring bikes or was the service manager just blowing smoke?

This entire conversation doesn't surprise me in the least;

1. He works for a dealership - he will tell you ANYTHING to keep you from doing things to your own bike or researching better ways to do things
2. Even if it only gets 4 to 6 ounces of additional dirty oil out, that's 4 to 6 ounces of dirty oil that won't be contaminating the $50 worth of pristine new oil and filter I'm putting on
3. Nice of him to lecture you on what's practical to spend on your bike when he'll charge you outrageous prices to do bare minimum services for you

Bottom line for me - when you've got $20K+ invested in a bike, I don't see the problem spending $100 for this kit and an extra quart of oil and maybe 5 minutes of labor at each oil change. Just me, though!

I ride an '03 FLHT and I use the Rogue Oil Scavenger. What he said can't be further from the truth. I get almost a quart more of dirty oil out. I know some think it is a waste of money and it won't add to the life of your motor but I think the cleaner the oil the longer it will run. When not using the Scavenger my oil looks like I never changed it after only 200 miles now my oil stays cleaner longer now than ever before. IMO It is well worth the money....:newsmile106:

For anyone that uses one on an ultra or equivalent: I noticed in the video it looks like you have to remove the hex plug in the block (sump). From what I understand, isn't this the "forbidden" plug that is really hard to remove and has cracked/messed up blocks by it's removal? I am kinda hesitant to get one because of this... ?

For anyone that uses one on an ultra or equivalent: I noticed in the video it looks like you have to remove the hex plug in the block (sump). From what I understand, isn't this the "forbidden" plug that is really hard to remove and has cracked/messed up blocks by it's removal? I am kinda hesitant to get one because of this... ?

I don't have to remove mine. There would be no need to remove it I don't think it is talking about that plug.

I asked this same question in a thread last summer. i was told that the plug they are removing in the video is in the oil pan and the "forbidden" one you are talking about is in the engine block. I really don't think this product would be so popular if it required you to do something that might damage or harm your bike!

I purchased a Rogue Scavenger last year to do my Tri-Glide oil changes with. I think it makes a difference in how the oil looks so I do it. Also it is the forbidden plug you take out, no problem it is a pipe plug just be careful when you reinstall it as not to cross thread. A little teflon tape and don't over tighten. It takes approx. 1 more quart of oil.

I asked this same question in a thread last summer. i was told that the plug they are removing in the video is in the oil pan and the "forbidden" one you are talking about is in the engine block. I really don't think this product would be so popular if it required you to do something that might damage or harm your bike!
The plug you want to remove is right next to the oil drain plug on the A engines (Touring). It faces forward and is the plug you remove to put in an oil temp gauge. The "forbidden" plug you speak of is not next to the oil drain plug and it faces downward. The plug you want to remove and replace is a 5/16" Allen if I recall correctly. I have not seen one with barbs on one end to put over the end of the siphon hose but you could easily use a small radiator clamp and put it over the threaded end. At least that is what I did when I fabricated a system to scavenge the oil on my touring bike.

The plug right next to the drain plug is the "forbidden" plug on the touring bikes the plug on the bottom is the transmission drain plug. That is the way it is on my bike.

Back