free website stats program Scavenge oil change on a touring bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

Scavenge oil change on a touring bike?

SixPak

Is there a way to do a "scavenge" oil change on a 2016 FLHXS? I do it on my '07 FXST, but it has external oil tank and no oil cooler.

Not easily. I would think you would have to disconnect the cooler, both lines, then blow air thru it to remove the old oil. Then look on the bottom of you motor casing for he allen drain screw & R&R it ( not recommended by most). Or after draining the motor oil I have heard of guys that put in 1 qt. new oil, leave filter off, then start motor & let it run till you see clean oil come out where the filter goes.
Me personally, I don't worry about the old oil left in there.
tourbox

Like tourbox said, don't worry about it. Hundreds of thousands of Harleys out there with a little leftover oil in them with no ill effects.

Look for info on the amount of oil needed to fill a rebuilt engine compaired amount for oil filter change. Other than the amount needed for a external cooler I don't think the difference warrants starting the engine with the filter off to get an extra cup of oil out compaired to a dry start up. Plus there is always old oil somewhere
In the block. If your wanting to keep the inside cleaner, change the oil and filter sooner.
The idea of draining the oil from the cooler with low air pressure I like, but only if you can crank the engine long enough to refill it, like pull the power lead from the coil.
Just my thoughts on it.

Just a personal preference. But dirty oil is dirty oil. I prefer nothing but clean oil in the engine when I change it.

I personally wouldn't run without a filter. Maybe a kit like this would work.
https://roguechopper.com/
Thanks for the link. Definitely looking at getting one.

Like tourbox said, don't worry about it. Hundreds of thousands of Harleys out there with a little leftover oil in them with no ill effects.
I know, But its something I learned on here several years ago and have gotten into the habit of doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back