free website stats program Saving for that new bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

Saving for that new bike?

SportyHawg

Here's an idea I want to float out there.

I've been watching different stocks and thinking with the market down to a level it hasn't seen in 12 years, it just might be a good time to hop in and use some cash to make some cash.

Since I bought my bike, I've had HOG stock in the crosshairs. It got down to about $8.50/share earlier this week.

NOW --- if you are thinking about saving for a new bike, why not have Harley help you buy it?! Let's say you buy 100 shares of stock. Every time it goes up a penny, you made a dollar. It closed at 10.82 this afternoon. It was over $40.00/share in October.

What do you think? I'm thinking its an investment for a year or so -- goes back up to 30/share and Harley has given me the cash to help buy a new bike!

I think that market timing has consistently been shown to be a bad strategy. Buy and hold for the long haul. Savings accounts are for savings. There's no guarantee that the last few days are indicative of the future. (My bet is that tomorrow will be a bad day in the market; but, I'm still just holding...as I said, in it for the long haul.)

JMHO.

ps. I do hold stock in HD as part of a very diversified portfolio.

Got to finishing paying for my old wife before I can get a new bike.

LOL.

I just figure since the bank is only offering almost nothing on their savings accounts, might be a fun way to step in and get something out of it later.

I agree with Smitty ,save enough to pay cash for the first one,then make payments to yourself after enough time with your trade and cash go for another new one.

The hardest part of the system we use is the first one. you have to get by untill you can buy cash the first time after that you just treat it as making payments to your self

We gonna rehash this again ?

Last edited:
I know myself I would never save for a bike or any other large purchase. I try and put myself in a position that I have no debt and I will just go out with a down payment and finace a bike and just dedicate the next two or three years paying it off. It may not be the smartest way of doing things, but I know If I put a side money for a motorcycle it would most likely get used for something other, a Caribbean vacation mostly :)

Back to your theory on the stock market investing in HD may not be a bad thing IMO ,early last week when it went below $8.00 I put a few bucks in.But spread your money around and only put in what you are willing to leave in for the long run,or only what you can afford to lose if things go sour. I like to play the stock market but I dont have a large portfolio for this reason.

Back to your theory on the stock market investing in HD may not be a bad thing IMO ,early last week when it went below $8.00 I put a few bucks in.But spread your money around and only put in what you are willing to leave in for the long run,or only what you can afford to lose if things go sour. I like to play the stock market but I dont have a large portfolio for this reason.

I agree 100%. I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket. But I would put a few in there. I see it as supporting a company that makes a product that I care about. (Other than adding chrome and bike upgrades!)

i put money away into savings every month into what i call my car account
but it seems to by 2 bikes for every car
here in the uk in the second hand market if you are buying with cash and can pay today you can drive the price down

Brian

Back