free website stats program Savannah GA | Harley Davidson Forums

Savannah GA

shaker

I'm thinking of heading down to Savannah in early March to beat the freeze - any suggestions about the country if I rent a ride? I'd be looking for slow roads - my lady would be with me, and I parked my bike last November. I still remember how to ride - I just need to remind my body about that.

We need some more info:

1. Are you flying/driving down to Savannah and then renting a bike there?
2. Are you looking for day trips out of Savannah or multi day trips with overnights in other cities?
3. Do you mostly want to ride or do you like riding to get somewhere and then checking out local attractions and restaurants?
4. What's the highest miles you want to do in a day?

I am there right now and it is freezing! Didn't bring the bike but if you find highway 17 north to Chareleston SC, it looks like a nice day trip from Savannaha.

Georgia will be BEAUTIFUL in March. There's many nice coastal roads, and many nice roads west. The coast is more populated and touristy, interior is rural. Almost all roads are in very good condition, and away from the coast, lightly traveled. A Plus is you can amble around going west for hours, then jump on I-16 and hustle back to the coast. Just get a map and go.

We need some more info:

1. Are you flying/driving down to Savannah and then renting a bike there?
2. Are you looking for day trips out of Savannah or multi day trips with overnights in other cities?
3. Do you mostly want to ride or do you like riding to get somewhere and then checking out local attractions and restaurants?
4. What's the highest miles you want to do in a day?

We'll be flying down and staying in Savannah, and the thought was to rent a bike for a day or two since we wont be bothering with a car. It's at least a month away from decent riding weather where I'm from, so this would be warm-up run for the summer. I wouldn't rule out an overnight jaunt, but that wasn't what I had in mind. That's a good question about miles - I don't really know how many she'll let me put on, but I can guarantee we'll be stopping a lot, and that's not a bad thing really. Checking out the local attractions is fine, and it will allow me to work out some of the off-season kinks. Hope this answers your questions, and thanks for responding.

OK, to be honest with you, there's not a lot of outstanding riding in that part of Georgia. Flat and rural outside of the cities. However from your description of the trip, that doesn't sound like it's totally a bad thing. Sounds like you're just "jonesing" to get on a bike and ride a bit. Weather should be OK - chance of rain but good temps. Lots of interesting coastal towns to explore and eat - Beaufort, Tybee, Brunswick, Jekyll. Hilton Head's an easy ride and LOTS of great eating places but parts of the island are NOT motorcycle friendly - they simply will not let you in!

OK, to be honest with you, there's not a lot of outstanding riding in that part of Georgia. Flat and rural outside of the cities. However from your description of the trip, that doesn't sound like it's totally a bad thing. Sounds like you're just "jonesing" to get on a bike and ride a bit. Weather should be OK - chance of rain but good temps. Lots of interesting coastal towns to explore and eat - Beaufort, Tybee, Brunswick, Jekyll. Hilton Head's an easy ride and LOTS of great eating places but parts of the island are NOT motorcycle friendly - they simply will not let you in!

What if I rent a BMW? Bentley doesn't make a motorcycle that I know of... Thanks all for the advise. Google street view gave me an idea what to expect as far as the ride is concerned, and stopping in a few towns will be what I'm looking for. That, and bugs. You have them down there, right?

i've been to savannah 2 years ago, rode up the east coast to south carolina to myrtle beach, and back over to alabama , and back to mississippi, a total of little over 2000 miles in a week on vaction, i love savannah ga. eat right on the water, saw some cool things, saw were they filmed forest gump, lots of tourists buses, so watch for traffic,
hiton head was very nice but, really expensive place, went to the forts by the waters,
seen some nice places, try it you'll like it! paula dean place to eat is there also and the food is great !!!!!!!!

Back