free website stats program Santa Barbara Harley Dealership Closing | Harley Davidson Forums

Santa Barbara Harley Dealership Closing

Jim B.

Despite being located in the affluent Santa Barbara/Montecito area Santa Barbara Harley Davidson is closing. This news was just a rumor a few days ago but has now been confirmed by the Santa Barbara News Press. The closure is attributed to declining sales caused by the current economy.

Someone told me Santa Barbara also owned Ventura and the one in Simi Valley (Moorpark) is this true? Maybe they are just downsizing if so. I really like the Simi Valley one and have bought a bunch of stuff from them. I shopped those places for my current ride in '06 and Santa Barbara was way over MSRP then, Simi was close, but I got the best price from San Diego and went all the way down there. They had 4 just like mine in stock and were a little anxious to get them sold. The ride home was fun and I had it nearly broke in by the time I finished my first ride. :)
Have you ever been to Santa Maria? I have heard a few say good things about them. The pricing at Gary Bang on Atascadero is stiff the last time I was there a year ago, but he sells other stuff besides bikes or at least used to. Nothing to say about the dealer in Bakersfield. Neutral, and they are only five miles from me.

Someone told me Santa Barbara also owned Ventura and the one in Simi Valley (Moorpark) is this true? Maybe they are just downsizing if so. I really like the Simi Valley one and have bought a bunch of stuff from them. I shopped those places for my current ride in '06 and Santa Barbara was way over MSRP then, Simi was close, but I got the best price from San Diego and went all the way down there. They had 4 just like mine in stock and were a little anxious to get them sold. The ride home was fun and I had it nearly broke in by the time I finished my first ride. :)
Have you ever been to Santa Maria? I have heard a few say good things about them. The pricing at Gary Bang on Atascadero is stiff the last time I was there a year ago, but he sells other stuff besides bikes or at least used to. Nothing to say about the dealer in Bakersfield. Neutral, and they are only five miles from me.

Actually had a devil of a time trying to get into Gary Bang HD...you could see it from the freeway, but trying to maneuver around, ended up parking at the furniture store only to find them closed. It was on a Sunday, but have not tried to get there since.

It is my understanding that Santa Barbara Harley has two owners. One owner had an 80% interest and a husband & wife had a 20% interest. The owner of the 80% interest filed for bankruptcy, which reportedly took the 20% owners completely by surprise. The 20% owners are reported to also own one or two dealerships in Florida. They supposedly found someone who was willing to buy the 80% interest but that was rejected by Harley Davidson. A lot of customers are questioning the logic of this rejection since the Santa Barbara Harley dealer has one of the highest sales volumes in California.

I bought my 09 Road Glide from Santa Maria HD. I really didn't shop around for price so I can't comment on how competitive their prices are. I can say that their service department is very good, their service department is very responsive, they have a good selection of bikes, and all of the staff treat their customers like family. It's very nice to walk into a dealer and be called by name.

I have been to Gary Bang and he has a good selection of bikes and a larger selection of HD merchandise than Santa Maria HD. As NEWHD74FAN has noted, it is a challenge to find your way into the Gary Bang parking lot. A friend of mine has bought two motorcycles from Gary Bang and he found them willing to negotiate on price. How that compares to other dealers, I can't say. My friend reports that the Gary Bang service department is good.

Actually had a devil of a time trying to get into Gary Bang HD...you could see it from the freeway, but trying to maneuver around, ended up parking at the furniture store only to find them closed. It was on a Sunday, but have not tried to get there since.

Is Gary bang still alive? havent heard that name in a while have used his parts on my shovel and Pan head:)

Is Gary bang still alive? havent heard that name in a while have used his parts on my shovel and Pan head:)
I was in about a year ago now and Gary Bang was there and looked pretty good for a guy in his 70s. I worked part time for him when he had his store in Canoga Park on Sherman Way. I worked at machining those cases he used to cast. At one time he was the only source of HD cases with no serial numbers. That was late 60s. Uh oh, did I date myself? I did not work for him very long. Uncle Sam got me.
The next I heard of him, Tom Selleck had bought his place overlooking Camarillo and that was in the late 70's. It might have been about that time he moved his operation to Atascadero, I do not know.
Anyway, I introduced myself and he did not remember me. His wife at the time I worked for him pretty much ran the operation. He looks good though. I don't hot rod bikes any more. I do not know if he has a catalog any more or not. He is a nice guy.
Jim B. I have never been into Santa Maria, but a few guys I know say they deal well and are professional.
Another up and coming dealer is Antelope out in Lancaster. They sell a ton of bikes,new used, consignment. They must be doing it right.
I have to confess, most of my shopping is on the internet these days. It is just so convenient and the shipping offsets the no sales tax, in my small way of thinking. Some I like are Zanotti's and Grand Rapids for stock parts. They have never failed me. Got the wrong parts with the right part number from Chicago and it can happen, but I haven't been back since, because I had to pay shipping back and forth on my dime. Not a great deal.
There just seems to be too many dealers going under, not just motorcycles, but cars too,especially in my area and it is hard hit by the economy. That is what is probably driving the closures. I myself would have bought a new bike by now, but I can't pull the trigger until I see a turnaround. I guess I am part of the problem. :s

I was in about a year ago now and Gary Bang was there and looked pretty good for a guy in his 70s. I worked part time for him when he had his store in Canoga Park on Sherman Way. I worked at machining those cases he used to cast. At one time he was the only source of HD cases with no serial numbers. That was late 60s. Uh oh, did I date myself? I did not work for him very long. Uncle Sam got me.
The next I heard of him, Tom Selleck had bought his place overlooking Camarillo and that was in the late 70's. It might have been about that time he moved his operation to Atascadero, I do not know.
Anyway, I introduced myself and he did not remember me. His wife at the time I worked for him pretty much ran the operation. He looks good though. I don't hot rod bikes any more. I do not know if he has a catalog any more or not. He is a nice guy.
Jim B. I have never been into Santa Maria, but a few guys I know say they deal well and are professional.
Another up and coming dealer is Antelope out in Lancaster. They sell a ton of bikes,new used, consignment. They must be doing it right.
I have to confess, most of my shopping is on the internet these days. It is just so convenient and the shipping offsets the no sales tax, in my small way of thinking. Some I like are Zanotti's and Grand Rapids for stock parts. They have never failed me. Got the wrong parts with the right part number from Chicago and it can happen, but I haven't been back since, because I had to pay shipping back and forth on my dime. Not a great deal.
There just seems to be too many dealers going under, not just motorcycles, but cars too,especially in my area and it is hard hit by the economy. That is what is probably driving the closures. I myself would have bought a new bike by now, but I can't pull the trigger until I see a turnaround. I guess I am part of the problem. :s

Thanks for the info, one man I would have enjoyed meeting:s

Back