Sand and salt on the roads

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by steveohdrider, Feb 22, 2011.

1. steveohdrider

steveohdrider Member

Many of us have had a bad winter and the use of sand and salt was used everywhere...Just a friendly reminder to all, be especially careful when exiting on off ramps, curves, etc. A well known pastor in our community was killed and was also a very experienced rider went down last week and yes, was wearing a helmet! He sustained head injuries after His Harley went down on an exit ramp where salt and sand remains from the last storm here. Riding and following behind cars to closely will also pit not only your bikes finish but not to pleasant on the complexion either. Now that it's warming up, just keep in mind there is a lot of salt and sand still on the Roads still and be mindful of it! Steveo, OKC.

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear about your friend.

3. cedarbrook63

cedarbrook63 Junior Member

Really sorry to hear about your Pastor friend. Gone to a better place I hope.
    Be careful everyone - there's still a lot of crud on the road where the snow/ice is gone.

4. drbillk

drbillk Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2011
  5. Ishmael

Ishmael Active Member

I am very sorry for the loss of your friend and fellow rider.
    Ishmael

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Sad to hear of your loss, you all be careful up North with all that mess on the roads

7. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The roads in my area have had a lot of salt and grit put on them over the winter and the edges of most roads look like a beach and the centre line of the road and the centre line of each lane have a brown sandy strip which when wet is deep enough to have tread marks of any tyre that ran on it
    so ill keep my bike in the shed for a wee while yet as the sand when wet turns to a sludge that is just as slippery as ice

Brian

8. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

Sorry for your tragic loss. I would much rather ride late into the Fall before they put the salt down then ride in the very early Spring because the roads around here still have lots of sand on them.

9. deucedog

deucedog Active Member

Exactly why I try to wait until after the first rain.

10. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

Yeah, those heavy spring rains do serve a purpose! :p