free website stats program salt vs sand | Harley Davidson Forums

salt vs sand

gator508

Experienced Member
As you are aware we had quite an ice storm here in the deep south, everything came to a screeching halt for a couple of days.

So the question remains what to put on the roads.

We don't have that many salt domes in the area and we do have lots of sand, so we use sand to put on the icy roads...we save the salt for our Margaritas:D

Anything for traction is better than I cant get no traction:D

I don't care what they use. As soon as they say Snow & Ice, I stay home. I don't even use ice in my drinks.

Here in the garden state a lot of towns use a brine solution before the snow/ice hits. You can spray it on road surfaces a few weeks before the season starts and it will work to prevent water from freezing on the road surface. But one thing to remember about salt and/or brine. When the temps drops too much they don't work. They need the snow/ice to melt a bit and then they make it harder for it to refreeze. Most of the towns by me use a combination of salt and sand that is spread from the back of a dump truck by a rotary spreader. It's quick and easy and as long as you don't drive like a moron will keep you pointed in a straight line. Hope you guys make out OK.

Any port in a storm, You have to use what you got...
We put down brine 24 hours before a pending storm, and if done right it will melt the first inch or two of snow...

Back